Chapter 7

Chapter 7

The wind felt magical against his skin as he ran. Was this what birds felt as they sailed through open skies? He almost forgot his anger and hatred for Frankenstein due to the giddiness he now felt. What wonders! His hand still tingled where she kissed him. It took everything in him not to turn back and look at her, if he had, he would have ruined everything by showing himself. She was like fire in his blood!

The terrain changed rapidly as he raced faster than any man could. Roots poked out between trees but he leapt over them with little care or caution. Occasionally, he would hit a patch of mud and skid through the forest, but his balance was impeccable. He was a spirit in the forest, a natural addition.

Some miles north of the Frankenstein house he caught sight of a road where a carriage raced on. The carriage was speeding towards a small town, only a few miles separated it from its destination. What was Victor doing? But the creature raced on; inhuman speed propelled him, he would soon catch up to the carriage.

Once in the town the creature crouched low and hid among crates and buildings as he followed Victor and surprisingly, Elizabeth. Her doting on Victor infuriated the creature. Elizabeth was far too beautiful and kind to be with someone like Victor. His father knew not how fortunate he truly was.

Victor stumbled into a building, an inn of some sort, the creature guessed, and disappeared within. Men tended to the couple and led them upstairs. They spoke in hushed whispers in an attempt to pass undetected by the other patrons of the inn.

"Fetch the doctor," said one man to another. "They need to be gone before morning. Keep them quiet, Claude."

All the windows in town were shuttered and gave the creature the freedom to lurk about undetected. He maneuvered through several alleyways, circling the inn before finding a building with access to the roof. Agile and quick, he scaled the wall to the top like a spider. Once on the roof he spied the inn and began his circumambulations trying to find Frankenstein's room.

Most of the rooms, like the town, were shuttered with the exception of the corner room at the west end of the inn. There were several candles lit and a fire— just enough light for the creature to peer inside. Frankenstein sat despondently in an armchair by the fire. Elizabeth sat at his feet rubbing his knees, offering some vain form of consolation. The creature crept closer, trying to hear each word that passed between the two.

"Victor, please," she begged in her delicate voice. "Tell me what is bothering you. Who are you afraid of?"

She was on the verge of fresh tears. In their youth, it had been so easy to pull what she wanted from him. He had been so eager to trust her, to love her. What happened? He was ashamed of something, something unrelated to the assault on Georgia. Elizabeth whimpered as she massaged Victor's knees.

"My father," said Victor at last, "is sending me to England. He will follow us. Perhaps the creature will remain here in pursuit of his vile lust for Georgia."

Elizabeth wept at his words, thinking him mad beyond hope. His creation, however, fumed. Lust! His father accused him of lusting after Georgia! He desired her, of course, how could he not? But he was not so base that he would pursue her for this reason. Was Frankenstein so ignorant of her grace and kindness? Was he so ignorant of beauty? Elizabeth wept at his feet, and yet, he seemed unmoved. At this, the creature frowned; Victor was far too callous for such a fragile woman. He was far too cruel for such devotion and tenderness.

After a moment, Elizabeth collected herself. "Why don't I prepare a bath for you? We've such a long day tomorrow. A bath would be nice, I think."

"Prepare one for yourself. I will keep watch," he responded coldly.

Her lip and chin quivered, but she resigned herself to his madness. She left him, silently weeping as she prepared one comfort for herself.

The creature watched for a while yet, contemplating what he would do. The desire to ruin Victor had passed, Victor was doing the damage by himself. Yet, he was sad for Elizabeth who would now tend to the paranoia of her intended. The destruction of their happiness was Victor's doing, but the creature knew he held some of the blame, he committed horrible acts of revenge that left him feeling empty rather than satisfied. If Victor had never made him, then none of them would be where they were now. Georgia, he thought sadly, would play her music for some other soul and he would beautiful, adoring every note that escaped her. Perhaps the gentlemen would have been Henry Clerval. But Victor sought to conquer what was not his dominion and thus stole the happiness of many.

But the creature decided to end his feud with his father. He would turn back and return to Georgia. There had to be a way for him to ensnare Georgia's affections. But what could he offer a girl of so much wealth? Truthfully, there was nothing he could offer except brute strength to protect her. He pushed the dark thoughts from his mind and turned from the refuge of his broken father. He would have to find some way to offer Georgia what she deserved.

***

The sun was well into the sky by the time he reached the Frankenstein house. Georgia was awake and was packing her belongings. She didn't seem particularly sad at the impending departure, but she continued to cast forlorn glances at the patio door. The creature smiled to himself as he watched at a distance.

Georgia vocalized soft melodies as she worked several dresses into her trunk. Several bonnets followed soon after; the final items to be added to the case were her books and loose sheets of music. She shut the trunk and latched it. With a heft, Georgia pulled the trunk from her bed and proceeded towards the door. Just as her fingers went to the handle she heard a knock.

At her door stood Alfonse looking as melancholy as he ever could. "Good day, Miss Daniels. I trust you are feeling better? Please forgive my family and me for sending you away so hastily; but without any women to keep you company, I could not leave you in the house thus. As an apology, though, I insist you take this piano with you." His final statement brought a kind smile to his lips, one he had often displayed before his family experienced so much grief.

"Mr. Frankenstein, I could not! Please, let the events of yesterday remain there and think no more of it."

"Miss Daniels, you must take it. I shall be insulted if you do not. Besides," he chuckled at her dismay, "we have another in the parlor. My late wife was the only one who ever played. You play so beautifully; it would warm my heart to know such an instrument would be well tended too. Think of it as a token of friendship. You will always be welcomed in my house."

After such an impassioned speech, Georgia felt that she could not refuse. She humbly accepted the deliverance of the instrument to Sir John's estate in a few days time. She also accepted the senior Frankenstein's desire to carry her luggage.

All the while, the creature watched, wondering how he could steal away into her room. He lingered around the Frankenstein house long enough to watch Georgia and her servant quit the house indefinitely. Once he knew she was safely on her way he returned to his cave where he spent the remainder of the day dreaming of Georgia.

If he could remain with his dreams he would, and forever. Georgia's soft lips devoured his skin and her eyes beheld him with such love and longing, not fear or scorn. Her russet hair fell and covered him like a mantle, a shield of protection. She was a blanket covering his crimes, easing away his anger. When he woke in the evening he envisioned her cast in a glow of sunlight and it was to this heavenly vision that he eased the tension building in him since the day he first saw her.