Halloween Part 4

October 28, 1992

"I'm all worn out, Chris," Sam sulked as she collapsed onto the bed. She was looking wan and disheveled. Her short blonde hair was matted and unkempt, falling over her face and blowing up every time she would exhale.

"Same here," I lurched upright in bed, gasping, staring blindly into alien darkness.

We had just come back from a loud and pumping college party down the street and we were both equally exhausted. I moved my weary gaze out through the half moon-lit window. It was a beautifully star-speckled night tonight, which doesn't happen too much in the typical polluted city of New York that I call my home.

I intertwined myself out of my sweater and out of my blouse, standing there shivering with my bra on, but appreciating the beauty of the elusive starry skies. I slipped on a random Beatles t-shirt and climbed into bed. I tried drowning my thoughts out with happy things, such as kittens and puppies, but I couldn't... Because there was only one thing on my mind.

I glanced over at sleeping Sam, my feelings suddenly overcome with jealousy and angst for her new lover. I didn't know why I was feeling like this - I didn't like him anymore, at least I think I didn't. I guess just seeing those two now getting cozy with each other and late calls; the ones I used to have with him - the ones where we'd vent about our rage and despair with subtle I love you moments that would never elicit. I missed River. Even after all the shit he's put me through.

October 31, 1992

Halloween. I smiled to myself as I marked the calendar. River was coming.

Not seeing River in such an outstretched time really hurt me. He is, singlehandedly, the most important person in my life at this moment; the only person to really make me feel happier about myself.

After having long periods of time without my second family, Iris, John, and Mickey, I've felt empty, almost defenseless if you will. As if this world were pointing all its guns at me and River was the only person to jump in front and try to compromise a way out of this lethal situation. He was the Paul to my Jane.

R: Chris! Ready to party?

C: Yes!

R: I'll be at the dorms in a few minutes. Hope you have your costume ready.

C: I wouldn't count on it.

R: Chris...

C: Ugh, okay I'll find something but you gotta help me.

R: Sounds like a plan.

After that I hung up and walked straight into my closet, scrounging around in the cupboards and flipping through the coat hangers.

River had invited me to another party Keanu was holding. I remember the last party I went to with Keanu... Let's just say you won't be seeing me dress up as Michelle Pfeifer from Scarface anytime soon.

I then ventured upon the Audrey Hepburn outfit I wore on Halloween of 1987. I suddenly felt nostalgic, reminiscing the wonderful days where I could talk to Danny without either of us drifting away from each other. Oh! And the kiss was a good addition to this look back on sophomore year.

Suddenly I heard the piano turn on and someone's fingers grazing across the keys. "And I wanna know: have you ever seen the rain?" It was River singing Credence. He then moved his attention over at me, and eyed me up and down.