New Home

February 15, 1986

I moved all my things into the Burton's house, and I was excited waiting to meet his wife. She came through the door with her suitcase and smiled at me.

"Hi, I'm Iris." We shook hands and I watched as she set her things down on the table. She had poofy hair with blonde highlights and a vaguely chubby face.

"Welcome to your new home," She smirked, opened her suitcase, and started to work. I could tell she was semi-annoyed by my presence, she knew that she gave up the childless life right then and there. I genuinely felt bad for her, knowing that maybe it was all Officer Burton's choice of adopting us.

"So what do you do?" I asked casually.

"Oh, dear, I'm an agent for child actors." She smirked as she continued to write on her papers.

"Christine... Your room is the next door on the right," Mr. Burton interrupted. I nodded and followed his directions.

My room was painted a light welcoming blue, with a queen bed placed right in the middle. There were Beatles posters everywhere, and it looked like a room designed in the '60s. I loved it. I sat down on the plush bed, trying to get used to my new home... My new family. It really broke my heart when I thought about it too much.

"Hey, Christine? We have a call for you," Mrs. Burton called out. I went out of my room and answered the telephone. 

"Hello?"

"Hey Chris." It was River.

"Hey Riv." I smiled through the phone. He was my only source of happiness these days.

R: Everything's alright?

C: No... Not really.

R: I'm sorry. Everything will get better, I can promise you that.

C: I hope so.

R: I know so.

C: Thanks.

R: So what are you up to?

C: Getting used to my new home.

R: I'm sorry.

C: You don't need to be sorry... It's okay.

R: I feel bad though.

C: Don't waste your time.

R: Well I'm going out for a hike with the family. Maybe you can join?

C: I'd love to.

R: I'll pick you up in an hour?

C: Sure.

R: See you then.

I hung up before he could say anything else. I was just too nervous to really say anything else. "Can I go out with Riv in an hour?" I asked Mrs. Burton.

She nodded but then I saw confusion come across her face. "I only know one River. Is It River Phoenix?" She asked. I nodded and watched her eyebrows raise. "That's weird... I'm his agent." I gazed at her for a second, not knowing what to say next.

"Wow, I never saw that coming," I muttered to myself.

I went into my room after 20 minutes of talking with Iris about her and River. I learned that she's also really close to his family, that's why they live so close to each other. She even said Leaf was interested in acting and she was happy to be his agent as well.

When I walked back into my new room, I rummaged around in my drawers and put on a little floral romper with an open sweater. I tossed my hair up into a high ponytail. I just wanted to look good for River.