Spontaneous Dancing

The waiter came out with our drinks and Max started talking to me about school, and I told him I'd taken the rest of the freshman year off due to my mother's death.

"I'm sorry," He said. I was at that point where I was going to punch someone because I was so sick and tired of everyone feeling bad for me. This time I didn't say 'it's okay' but I did kind of gave him a content smirk.

Through the rest of the night we talked about ourselves some more, and he would keep linking me to River in some way. I didn't mind it too much, but he did tell me how they first met.

"Corey was hanging around with River at the Goonies audition, and we kind of both clicked, but that wasn't what I wanted to tell you..." He glanced away from my stare.

"What... What's wrong?" I asked, dreading the worst.

"River told me a few days ago that he was moving to Gainesville." He remained emotionless. I was confused on why that was so bad... But then again I don't know where Gainesville is.

"That's not too bad right?" I felt weird inside like I knew he was going to say it was out of state or something.

"It's... Uhm in Florida..." He sipped on his coke, trying not to look at me in the eyes.

"What- what do you mean? He's not leaving... He would've told me." I was waiting for Max to just interrupt with a 'just kidding!' But he didn't.

"I'm not sure when he's leaving, but I'd recommend spending a lot of time with him before he does," He said softly.

"Why didn't he tell me?" I kind of toned down a bit because I didn't want to sound too clingy.

He took a while to get a hook on an answer. "I think I am the only person he's told. I guess because he doesn't want to ruin his friendship with you or anyone for that matter... or I don't think he wanted anyone to confront him. I'm sure he cares about you... In that way? Well, I don't know, you'd be the person to answer that, but I'm pretty bummed out about it too."

"Well, speaking about River... I think we should get back, you know before they hurt themselves." He agreed and we walked back to the hotel in complete silence, mostly just dwelling on the idea of life without River around - It wasn't a life worth living without someone like him lighting up every step of the way. But it wasn't like he was dead, just moving away.

We heard faint music pumping through the hotel door, and luckily it was unlocked. There were lights bouncing around every corner and the music had to have been the loudest it could go. River was dancing around very spontaneously, while I saw no sign of Shay. I saw Corey in the corner, dragging a cigarette with who knows what was in it.

River and Corey were definitely high, but like what Max said, I didn't want to confront them. Instead, I just danced around with them. "You changed your mind?" River shouted through the pounding music. He blinked his eyes violently and gave me a broad smile. I returned the favor and jumped around with him.

This couldn't have been the first time River's done drugs, well from what I can tell. Max joined Corey on the couch and smoked whatever was in the mysterious cigarette, which confused me because he was very against it the second he joined the party.

Suddenly I felt River's face fall into the curve of my shoulder. He was all droopy and well, high. I wrapped my arms around his almost jelly body, but he was too heavy for me and he fell and broke something, probably a beer bottle.

"Well it ain't a party till something's broken," Corey joked. I went down to see if River was okay. All I saw was glass shards right under his butt, and I heard him say "Shit, I ripped my pants."

I laughed to myself but luckily he couldn't tell from the music. "Here, let me help you up."I put out two hands and brought him back to his feet.

I brushed some glass off of his jeans and let him sit down on the couch. "You okay?" I asked. His eyes were half open and I knew he was getting drowsy. I got a pillow from the closet and put it under his head.

After he fell asleep, I went over to the cigarette corner and asked Corey where Shay went.

"She left... Man, she wasn't having too much fun being the only girl after you left," He chuckled to himself.

I rolled my eyes. "What did you do to her..."

"Woah! Nothing!" He put his hands in the air like I was going to shoot him. Max checked his pockets. 

"Nah, he's good. There's no sign of date rape drug anywhere." They both let out loud laughs.

I noticed it had already gotten dark outside and it was 8:23 pm. I probably had to be back for my first dinner at the Burton's house anyways."Well, guys, I've had a lot of fun, but I have to go."

"But the party just started!" Corey put his drink in the air. I took the glass out of his hand and set it on the table. "Sorry!" I shrugged.

I made sure I had everything, and then I walked out the door. As I kept walking I felt a presence behind me, but I wasn't sure if it was human. I ignored it, but then I turned around sharply.

"Woah!" I yelled, startled.

"I forgot to give you something," Max handed me a rumpled-up piece of paper. "Don't open it till you get home." He smirked then ran back inside.

Of course, the rebel inside of me couldn't wait that long, so I opened it in the hall. He had written his number on it. I felt all tingly inside, thinking, maybe he likes me. But he told me he had just gotten out of a nasty breakup, so I don't know what to expect.

I opened the door to the house and got greeted by Mr. Burton. "Ah, Christine. Just in time for dinner," He said with a warm smile.

After I joined the table with Iris and Mickey, I scarfed down all the food on my plate. "Someone's hungry!" Mickey yelled out.

"So Christine, what have you done today?" Mr. Burton asked.

"Oh, I had to help at the studio."

"I understand that River never came to pick you up last night?" Iris asked with a hint of anger in her tone. Mickey dropped his fork on his plate really hard, I could tell he did it intentionally so he'd get attention.

"Everything's okay though," I said quickly glancing at the now fuming Mickey.

"Are you sure? Because I could teach him a lesson..." She said with a serious face.

"I'm sure," I giggled. "I talked to him today and everything's alright."

The rest of the conversation was about Mickey's new school. I guess he chose to go back right away, even after knowing he was an orphan.