6. Bridges

Everyone stormed through The Institution quietly. I could tell Clary was upset that her best friend had been taken by the Vampires and for a good reason of course, I just couldn't imagine loosing Izzy, Alec, or Jace for that matter.

"I still don't understand," Clary broke the silence, "how can Shadowhunters be better than these people you call mundanes?"

"Because we protect humans." Izzy states while stepping forward.

Clary huffs and turns around to face Izzy, "You're right. Humans. You protect humans. You left Simon all alone in the van. Great job, guys. You rock." She says sarcastically. Izzy turns around to face me looking visibly annoyed. I shrug my shoulders and continue to look down at my feet.

"There is some truth to the idea that human beings should have a modicum of common sense." Alec claps back at Clary's sarcastic remark.

"Alec, not now." I suggest deciding that Clary is only looking out for a friend and this one was on us.

"Look, they won't do anything to Simon. They just wanted to draw you out. They want the Cup, and they think you have it." Jace informs.

"But why do they think that? Why does anyone think that? What, my mom lies to me my entire life except, Oh, by the way, there's this magic cup, I hid on, like, the planet Bongo, but don't tell anyone." Clary sighs in frustration and looks back to all of us with sadness in her eyes. "What am I supposed to do now?" She whispered.

Alec seems unfazed by Clary's sudden outbreak and keeps walking to the center of the intuition, "we have to report to the Clave." He says strictly, "They have to know we've learned about Valentine."

"What the he's my father?!" Alec clenches his jaw and leans against the brick wall, "great, fine. Tell them, what good does that do Simon?" Clary argues.

"Clary," Jace starts, "it's all connected, the Vamps want the cup."

"Why? It makes new Shawdowhunters." Clary says, remembering the information we told her.

"Nobody wants Valentine forming an army loyal to himself." Alec says while rolling his eyes af if Clary should know this information already.

"Plus, it controls Demons." I add on.

"They'll propose a trade. Simon for the Cup." Jace crosses his arms over his chest.

"So, vampires will trade Simon for the Cup and Valentine will trade my mother for the Cup. Either way, I lose someone I love." Clary backs into the brick wall across from Alec and leans against it.
"What if I just toss it up in the air and let them fight it out among themselves?" She says exasperated.

"So this doesn't matter to you?" Alec inquired while narrowing his eyes towards Clary.

"Yes, of course, it matters!" She snapped back in a venomous tone. "Listen," Clary took a deep breathe and walked towards us, "when you saved my life I put my trust in you." She stares directly at Jace in a trance then turns to the rest of us, "Now, I need you to put your trust in me. I can't turn into what you are overnight."

"It's true, she was raised as a mundane." Izzy defends her.

"Why are you her spokesperson now?" Alec asks, clearly getting fed up.