Chapter 1: Thank you, stranger. ⦅Edited⦆

Kitsune's tail twitched wildly, the huge grassy field in front of her swaying in the wind, the wild flowers' fragrance entrancing her. The other fox-children ran around playfully, each colored tail sticking up into the air as they all crouched, pouncing at each other and giggling.

Letting out a loud sneeze, her eyes fluttered open, the dream of playing with the other fox-children still fresh in her mind as she wiped at her nose. It had been a few days since Kabuto had told her of the plan to take over the Leaf Village, and Kitsune wasn't entirely sure if she was okay with it.

Being born into subjugation as she was, it seemed only natural for her to do what she was told... but there was a part of her that just wanted the pain to stop. The overwhelming guild she felt every time she thought of hurting someone was pathetic.

Tch, I sound like an idiot... she sighed; a monster like herself wouldn't possibly be able to feel human emotions. Her tail wrapped protectively around her legs as she sat up, folding her legs inward and giving her scratched arm a quick lick before settling down.

To make sure the 'you're not getting away from us' point Kabuto had presented was enforced, her food and water supply had been cut in half, making her that much more dependent on Orochimaru. Her ears twitched, the sounds of approaching footsteps sounding down the hallway, one barefoot and the other wearing sandals.

Kabuto must be escorting a prisoner, Kitsune assumed, watching the two stop in front of her cell and slip a tray with a small bowl of rice and a cup of water on it. Kabuto gave her a single superior look before resuming his path down the hall with the prisoner.

She eyed the bowl suspiciously, the scent of something strange coming off of the bowl in waves. Her tail flicked back and forth, her stomach letting off multiple growling sounds and giving her a final push towards the rice.

Kitsune crawled over to the tray and poked a single finger into the rice, feeling around for anything strange and settling on a large cold lump in the center of the rice. She pulled it out, feeling vomit crowding the back of her throat as she realized that the thing in her hand was a mouse.

A loud screech erupted from her throat, her hand throwing the mouse against the wall and her foot involuntarily kicking the tray away from her. After the whole process reached her brain she mentally slapped herself, her only water source for the day was on that tray.

Damnit, she pressed her body up against the bars and tried to reach the tray, feeling the cold metal bars pressing into her shoulder blade and spreading a sharp pain down her arm. Despite the pain she kept wiggling, her fingertips grazing the side of the tray but not being able to get a complete hold on the tray.

After a few minutes of frantically trying to get the tray she decided she deserved it for reacting like she did over a stupid mouse, flopping down on her butt and letting her tail fall down towards the floor. As her tail hit the floor, she felt it touch water, the cold creeping up her tail and spine.

She shivered, turning around to see a small puddle behind her filled with rain water, placing her palms on either side of the muddle and leaning down, looking into the water with wonder. So that's what I look like... she had spent her whole life encaged, deprived of sunlight, fresh air, and her own reflection.

Come to think of it... I don't even know how old I am... Her ears flattened themselves against her head, the thought of being ageless and nameless almost as bad as being an abomination. She turned her attention back to the water, shifting to the side and let what little light there was shine into the puddle.

She looked back towards the puddle, seeing her short white hair falling just past human ears, but her fox ears flicking playfully as she observed herself. Her vision traveled downward, this time settling on her own dull red eyes.