Chapter 11: Getting out of the Hospital

The doctors told Kitsune that they'd like her to stay a few more days to make sure her knee didn't suffer any permanent damage, forcing her to stay in traction. It was uncomfortable but whatever she had to do to get out of this hospital was fine with her.

Inoichi had come back to visit a few times, bringing her small baskets of fresh fruit to snack on since he knew the hospital didn't offer very good food. Kiba and Naruto promised to bring back a snack after they got ramen, but they didn't... at least they visited often enough.

It had already been a week since she was admitted to the hospital and the Chuuni exams had begun, the security around the village was tightened. Apparently all the Sand Village Genin was given extensive physical exams to make sure they weren't being impersonated.

I still don't know how they figured out Orochimaru had something planned... she sighed, adjusted her back to try to self-fluff the pillow behind her but not succeeding. She listened to the constant stream of footsteps going past her room, not paying any mind to the ones that didn't slow near her room.

"Are you awake?" Inoichi called in, knocking on the door and waiting a minute before entering.

"Yeah, nice to see you," Kitsune tried sitting up straight, the whole 'being in traction' thing putting a strain on her movement.

"They told me your knee was doing much better," he held up a bouquet of white flowers. "I figured you'd want something to brighten the room," he gingerly placed them in the vase near her bed.

"Brighten the room," she repeated, looking at the flowers. "So you got white flowers?"

"Yeah..." He scratched his head, clearly embarassed. "Not my brightest move, but I wanted to stop by quickly and let you know we're starting the last phase of the Chuunin exams. Everything has gone smoothly so far."

"That's good," Kitsune sighed, playing with the cotton wrapped around her arm. "How is everyone doing?"

"A handful of Leaf Genin have made it to the last round," he gave a small sigh. "Unfortunately, my daughter didn't make the cut this year...." He shook his head, realizing he was still talking to Kitsune. "I should be getting back; the exam should be starting soon. I'll come back afterwards to let you know how it went."

"Thank you for coming," she waved as Inoichi walked out of the room, leaving her alone with her thoughts once more. It was always so lonely in the hospital, she was put in a single room and there probably wasn't going to be many visitors today...

She snuggled up against the pillow behind her, closing her eyes and letting the pitter-patter of feet going past her hospital room lull her to sleep.

-

Turns out during the Chunin exams Orochimaru had impersonated the Kazekage, killing the Hokage while the entire building was put to sleep by Kabuto. Kitsune looked up at Kiba, who was sitting on her bed quietly and staring out the window.

The whole village was suffering after the loss of the Hokage, but Kitsune honestly didn't understand their attachment. Kiba had picked her up from the hospital after the Hokage's funeral and walked her home to make sure she was all right, and ended up just plopping down on her bed and doing nothing.... silently.

She sighed, pushing herself off the floor and plopping down next to Kiba, who didn't react to her presence. Her tail brushed up against his hand and she placed her hand on his knee, giving it a sympathetic squeeze when he looked over at her.

"I'm here to talk if you need it," she offered softly, watching Kiba open and shut his mouth a few times before looking back to the window.

"You wouldn't understand," he huffed, crossing his arms stubbornly. "The Hokage was like a father to the Village... with him being gone... it's just..." He trailed off rubbing his eyes.

"Are you crying?" She poked his leg, trying to get a laugh out of him.

"N-no! An eyelash got in my eye!" He swatted her hand away as she poked him again.

"Well that's good; I didn't think you were the crying type." She chuckled, pulling her legs up to her chest and hugging them.

"Psh, of course I'm not," he turned away from the window, giving Kitsune a small push. She rocked backwards and tumbled onto the floor with a loud thud. "Oh, jeez, I'm sorry!" He jumped off the bed and picked Kitsune off the floor.

"It's all right," she laughed, leaning up against the bed next to Kiba. "The bed is like two inches off the floor." She laughed even harder when Kiba's face turned bright red.

"Well sorry for worrying, you didn't just get out of the hospital or anything," he muttered, throwing his back against the bed and leaning his head backwards against the mattress.

"You're right, thank you for worrying." Kitsune sighed, placing her hand on Kiba's, giving him a smile as his head rose, getting a smile in return.

Do I... Kiba's eyes narrowed, watching the genuine smile on Kitsune's face spread. I... He leaned in, touching foreheads with Kitsune, watching a blush spread across her face. I do...

"Psych!" He shouted, flicking Kitsune's nose.

"Agh! You meanie!" She yelled, her tail bristling angrily. "What's wrong with you?!" Tears welled up in the corners of her eyes out of embarrassment, her ears lying flat against her head.

I can't let her know