PROLOGUE

ATEM pressed his tanned palm against the sweaty forehead of his beloved, his violet eyes narrowing as tears threatened to overtake him. Almost lazily, the sickened queen lifted her ivory hand to cup his quivering cheek.

"Do not cry because it is over, Atem. I want you to smile because it happened," she fought to speak.

With that difficult sentence fleeing her trembling lips, the queen's eyes drew closed and her fevered form grew all so still. Atem, the young king of Egypt, laid his temple against her now chilly bosom and refused to move. He stayed with her for many days and nyghts until the high priest hefted him up into his arms, carrying him from the stiff corpse that was once his beautiful queen and to his own bed. Atem, weak from the heavy sorrow that weighed down upon him like an anchor and the starvation that he had experienced as an effort to rejoin his beloved, let the brunette male in the white robes to gingerly raise his head as though he were a newborn and didn't fight back against the golden spoon that said priest pressed against his now chapped lips.

"Drink, my King," the priest commanded.

If the situation had been different, it might've amused the pharaoh that he himself was receiving orders instead of giving them.

This kept up for the next several weeks until Atem's body was healthy again, though his heart was dead and his mind was still so very ill. Of course, none of the royal servants dared mention the deceased queen in the glass box adjacent to his grand bed to anyone outside the palace. Nor did they think twice about it; he needed his true love by his side.

Oh, if they'd only thought but once about it before holding a bouquet.

Atem, now a rather stoic figure of a man, numbly paced around the open room as the noisy guests meandered and chattered wildly. They toasted, cheering and celebrating the end of the war.

Not in the mood for such simple things, he found a balcony where he could be alone.

That's when his dead eyes fell upon a beautiful woman about [height] that was the ideal image of an Egyptian woman. She didn't come close to the love of his life, but she was still such a pretty sight... But, eventually she would die and that beauty would leave this cold world.

That is, of course, unless Atem protected her.... And wouldn't it be such a shame of him as a man to let anything harm the maiden below?

And so the damned cycle of Eternity began...