Chapter 32: New Year, New Start

Disclaimer: The more I write about these characters, the sadder I get. Even though they aren't mine.

A/N: I know you guys are getting bored with the romance, drama's about to start. Wait with me, okay?=)

Chapter 32: New Year, New Start

The days that passed were a blur, but James knew that it was the best Christmas holiday he had ever experienced.

Sirius had remarked. "Thank God you're a thing now, he's been insufferable."

Remus just smiled and patted Lily's head affectionately.

Alice's letter arrived soon, full of praise and pride.

"Speaking of which, you still didn't tell what you asked Alice that day," Marlene said when she saw the letter.

"Hmm" Lily replied absent-mindedly.

"Y'know, T or D you asked something and she said no, what is it? I'm dying to know. Not literally," she added hastily upon Sirius's grave look.

Sirius and Marlene were currently in a very protective part of their relationship, even the slightest mention of Marlene's death sent him in a bad mood.

"Well," Lily looked around nervously to see if anyone.was listening in. "I asked her if she was a virgin."

The corners of Marlene's mouth turned down, then she abruptly slipped into a fit of giggles. "Oh, Merlin. Frank!?"

-

James as good as gave Sirius his room, and took to sleeping in Lily's instead. Neither minded much.

At night, the house was (mostly) silent. Mr. Potter was back from his business expedition, and at night the couple exchanged quiet endearments.

Sirius and Marlene were by far the noisiest, and Remus, who had the room next to them, had to cover his ears with a pillow every night.

James and Lily? They exchanged stories in soft voices, remembering incidents and lost opportunities.

"Okay, I've got one." James announced. "I sprayed Amortenia on myself instead of cologne, just to see what your favorite smells were."

Lily blushed heavily. "So that's what the stupid smell question was about."

James laughed. "Yeah. I can't believe smelled books and fire whiskey. I should have reported you for drinking it, y'know?"

Lily snuggled into his arms. "Your cologne nearly overpowered all those scents that day. Tell me then, what did you smell?"

His face was thoughtful. "The Quidditch pitch, and your shampoo."

"I don't know if I should feel gratified or disgusted."

"Let's go with the first option." He grinned, lowering his lips onto hers briefly. Lily giggled.

-

"I hate being the odd one out." It was not the first time Remus had complained.

"Yeah, I think Mary fancies you."

Remus pulled a face.

"He's a lost cause," Sirius said loudly. "He's gay."

"Am not," Remus replied, affronted.

Marlene and Lily looked at each other, and laughed.

-

"I can't believe we're going back to Hogwarts tomorrow," Marlene sighed.