Chapter 34: Life without you

Anyone with a heart, with a family, has experienced loss. No one escapes unscathed. Every story of separation is different, but I think we all understand that basic, wrenching emotion that comes from saying goodbye, not knowing if we'll see that person again - or perhaps knowing that we won't.

~Luanne Rice

James,

We're fine. We're staying at one of our safehouses right now, and 2 aurors have been sent to protect us for at least one month.

I haven't written to you in forever, but I'm sorry that when I do pick up my pen, it's going to reassure you that we're fine.

I wouldn't advise you to write back, because it could be intercepted, but I'd like to follow up on that girl you brought home on Christmas someday. How is she? When are you getting married? Will your father and I be getting any grandchildren soon? Your father asks me to tell you to get your game up.

We're old, James. And our hearts are not built for drama. Hopefully, we can have a new daughter soon.

With love,
Your parents.

-

James growled, the death eaters were striking everywhere, and his parents' house was not an exception. Eyeing his half-finished breakfast with disdain, he excused himself and went back to the dormitories to check on Lily.

Out of the corner of his eye, he could see someone from the Slytherin table rise up to follow him. One, then another.

Sighing, he walked out of the Great Hall and took a few turns before hiding behind a corner to wait for his stalker.

When the footsteps neared, he put his foot out and collapsing on the floor was... Snape.

"Stalking me instead of Lily now, eh? Never would've guessed that my charms applied to reptiles."

"You don't get to call her that," he snarled.

"Perhaps I should follow your example, then? Because mudblood is such a terrific nickname?" He taunted.

Suddenly, he was thrown to the wall by an invisible force, and behind the corner stepped Bellatrix Black, Padfoot's deranged cousin.

Drat, he completely forgot about the second Slytherin.

"Thank you, Snivellus." James said in mock earnesty. "For being such a wonderful distraction. Your hair alone was enough to keep me fascin-"

Bellatrix cackled. Snivellus didn't find his humour relaxing, surprisingly, and stepped forward to raise his wand to James' neck.

"Ooh, scary."

"Funny, that's not what your mother said when we got into her house." Snape fired back.

"She would've laughed in your face and offered you cake. That's what I'd do, at least."

Snape's lips curled up in a sneer. "Your folks got off lucky this time, our curse missed them by inches before the aurors arrived. Or you'd be attending a funeral."

"So you're here to remind me about the legendary Potter luck?" In truth, James' insides were blazing with rage, but he tried to keep his face impassive and lash out. "We do have a lot of that. Remember the time you very nearly got suspended for throwing dungbombs in Hooch's office?"

"I didn't do that."

Bellatrix had been so quiet that James almost forgot her presence. "Enough chitchat, boys." Snape lowered his wand, even backed off slightly.