Painted Skies

*Aphmau's PoV

I sat on the docks of the old Phoenix Drop, admiring the beauty of the sky. It was sunset, and the descending sun made the skies look as if they had been painted with colors ranging from purple to orange. I always come to the docks when I need time to think and wind down. The serene sound of the waves gently rushing up on the shore always calms me when I'm stressed. I was lost in my thoughts when I heard something rustling in the bushes behind me.

I turned around and picked up my glistening sword. I cautiously stood up, aware that there might be danger lurking around me.

"Who's there?" I called out, trying not to sound as nervous as I really was. Irene, help me...I thought. Please don't let this be Shadow Souls...

I took a step closer and was about to call out again, but something lunged out at me from the bushes

"BOO!" Laurance yelled, practically jumping on top on me.

"OH MY IRENE, LAURANCE!" I yelled, shocked, but giggling. "You scared the life out of me! I thought you were a Shadow Soul, or maybe something worse!"

Laurance slightly laughed. "Aw, I'm sorry, Aph..." he wrapped his arms around me in a hug. "I didn't mean to scare you that bad."

I sighed and accepted his hug. "It's okay," I said, still scared from the incident.

"Wow, I really did shock you, didn't I?" Laurance exclaimed, still hugging me. "You're shaking."

I could feel my face getting hot. Oh my Irene, this is not something to be embarrassed over, Aphmau, stop blushing! I screamed internally. "Heh, yeah..." I said, nervously.

Laurance let me go from the hug and held my hands. He made that adorable smile that he does, and his pale blue eyes were sparkling in the partially remaining sunlight. He's so handsome...No! Snap out of it Aph, you've got more important things to think of right now. I told myself not to stare, but I couldn't help it. I smiled back at him and lightly blushed. I couldn't help but think that this moment was perfect, that he was perfe--

"So, are you going to come back to the new Phoenix Drop soon?" Laurance asked, still holding my hands in his. "It's already almost dark."

"Huh? Oh! Yeah, I just...uh," I couldn't think straight...why? Was it because I loved Laurance? No, I don't love him, I can't love him... "I came here because I wanted to clear my mind, that's all." I said softly.

"I should have figured. This is always where you come when you want some time alone." Laurance replied. "I'm heading back to the new village now, do you want to walk with me?"

"Oh! S-Sure," I said, stuttering my words.

We were making our way back to the portal next to Lucinda's transportable home when about halfway there, Laurance grabbed my hand. I just looked up at him and smiled, softly blushing. I probably shocked him when I didn't pull away or say anything.

We silently walked while holding hands, just enjoying each other's company and the time we had together.

I don't want to admit it, but I think I've fallen in love with my guard...