Locked Up Secrets

The next holiday that took place, Anakin had taken off for a week to come see his family on Naboo, not long after he had headed back after the wedding.

When he arrived, his nieces crashed into him, giving him their biggest bear hugs. "Anakin!" they cried, "we missed you so much!"

"I missed you girls, too," he said, beaming. He kissed both of their heads and held on in both arms, kneeling down to their height. "So, what did you do while I was gone?"

"Um... well, we played a lot," Ryoo answered, leaning into Anakin's shoulder and setting her head there.

"Yeah? What did you play?"

This time it was Pooja's turn to answer, excited and energetic. "We played a lot outside, 'cause it was really warm, and we played dolls, dress up, blocks, stuffed animals..."

"You must've been pretty busy, then," Anakin commented, his eyebrows raised.

"Yeah, and Pooja got stung by a bee one day!"

"You did?" Anakin asked, turning to Pooja.

"Uh - huh. There was a huge red bump there, but it's gone now. Mommy and Daddy took care of it and made it all better, but I think when Auntie Padmé kissed the boo - boo, that's what made it all better."

"Good." Anakin stood up, brushing his trousers off. "Speaking of Padmé, where's your aunt? I have something to tell her. Well, everyone, actually."

"Really? Can you tell me?" Pooja begged, tugging on Anakin's robes.

"Tell me where Auntie Padmé is first. And then I'll tell you. I promise."

"Fine. She's in the bathroom in her room, getting ready to see you." Pooja giggled, a mischievous look in her eyes.

"Am I supposed to believe you?" Anakin asked suspiciously.

"Yes! Why not?"

"I don't know. But you said she's upstairs?"

"Yes."

"On my way up," Anakin said, jogging up several flights of stairs to Padmé's room. He crept into the bathroom behind her, where she was standing curling her hair.

As soon as she met eyes with him in the mirror, she set down the curling iron and grinned widely. Anakin slid his arms around her waist and turned her around, pulling her to him. He buried his head in her side, hugging her tight.

She laughed, kissing his head, and as he stood back up, Padmé noticed something different about Anakin, and identified it right away.

"Anakin! Where's your Padawan braid?" she said, grasping the empty air where it would've been.

"They cut it off. I'm a Jedi Knight now."

"Oh, Ani, that's great!" Padmé wrapped her arms around his shoulders as he lifted her in his arms.

"I love you, Padmé," Anakin mumbled, kissing her. He set her down again, turning her towards the mirror. "Now, lets finish your hair."

He lifted the curling iron and examined it, trying to figure out how to use it. Then, his eyes lit up, and he had an idea.

"Wait, Ani!" Padmé said, laughing, trying to grasp for the curling iron. But he held it up high, away from her where she couldn't reach.

"Let me do it," Anakin said, lowering the iron and unclamping it and then clamping it again, around a section of Padmé's hair. He pulled it down to the end, then rolled the hair around and held it. Padmé stared at him through the mirror, amazed.

"How --"

"I've seen you do it," Anakin said simply.

Padmé laughed. "You act like you hang around girls a lot more often than you really do."

As he finished curling the last few sections of Padmé's hair, he smiled. "There. So... why were we curling you hair again."

"Well, when I got out of the shower I straightened it and then curled it, like I did last time you visited. I just figured you liked it."

"I like it any way."

"Aw, thank you, Ani."

"Of course, Angel." Anakin leaned down and kissed Padmé.

"Well, dinner should be ready in a few. My mom's getting it ready."

"I know. I smelled it when I was downstairs."

"Well, how did it smell?"

"Amazing."

Padmé smiled and walked out of the bathroom and into her bedroom. Immediately, Anakin stripped off his Jedi robes and changed into something casual, comfortable trousers and a loose tunic.

After Anakin was changed, he followed Padmé downstairs and greeted everyone he hadn't so far, and they all prepared for dinner.

As everyone sat down at the dinner table, Anakin announced the news he had told Padmé: of his christening as Jedi Knight. The family was impressed, and they were all asking his questions about it.

And as he pulled out Padmé's chair for her and they goofed around together, Anakin then knew he fit in there with his new family. He was happier than he had ever been in his entire life. He was married, a devoted husband, an uncle, a son-in-law, and possibly a father-to-be -- eventually.

Eventually.

But for now, everything was just fine, and life was just about perfect. He wasn't sure he was ready for a change just yet. He was happy with his wife.

And even though it was a secret, and it always would be, his marriage was the best thing that had ever happened to him. His wedding was a happy moment.

The happiest moment of his life.