Cruising with the Enemy

"Are you going to be okay?" He says, lifting his carry on bag over his shoulder as we walk to the terminal.

Nope, the fact that I'm going to be living with a guy I currently hate for 3 months, is the biggest dream of my life.

Instead I nod. "Yes Dad." I reply lying through my teeth. He gives me an unknown look before adjusting his bag and shaking his head lightly.

"I have no choice Tessa, I'm not leaving you on your own. The longest I've been away was for a month, and you cried like a baby just on the second day." Dad explains.

"No!! I did not!" I gasp. "Okay maybe I did but that was a few years ago."

"Tess, it was last year." He states giving me a knowing look. I roll my eyes as he chuckles at my immatureness, putting an arm over my shoulder giving me a gentle side hug.

"You're the best, you know that kid?" Dad smiles.

"Obviously" I answer, exaggeration slipping off my tongue. "But seriously out of all places you send me off to the Dallas household! Why not a foster home? I would've survived!"

"I know you would." He laughs. "Sofia's my only choice Tessa, unless you wanted to go stay with Gio at his house."

"NO WAY IN HELL AM I SLEEPING UNDER THE SAME ROOF AS KALEB!" I yell grabbing the attention of everyone who's standing around at the airport. My Dad gives me a pointed look, before turning around and apologising for my behaviour. Kids would be embarrassed by their parents but no I've done the opposite and embarrassed my Dad.

"Tessa Catalina Mary-Anne Romano" He hisses. Yes I have the longest name known to man, and Yes, I was named after Jesus's mother and Grandmother. They just couldn't decide so they chose both, but unlike my mother it has stayed with me ever since.

His scowl slowly transforms into a sad smile, as he takes a step towards me and embracing me in a warm hug. I sigh resting my head on his shoulder before he pulls away.

"I have to go now Tessa." He says, looking above my head to the terminal sign. "Please behave, and don't do anything wild."

"Of course dad, because I'm not at all socially awkward." I say Sarcastically earning the privilege of an eye roll from my dad. He gives me a quick kiss on my forehead before retreating through the security scanners.

"Malato si dimentica, si vede in tre mesi ragazzo." He yells before disappearing from my sight.

"I'll miss you too Papa!" I whisper to myself before turning back and heading towards the exit.

As I make my way outside, the cold air brushes against my face, as I pull my scarf tighter around my neck. I look side to side before I continue to cross making my way to the car park on the second floor.

I stop suddenly, my feet glued to the ground as I scan the area around my car. We're only a few feet away as we stare intensely at each other from a distance. I huff as the air comes out in smoke, hopping that it would clear the view and he would disappear. But he doesn't, he just leans against my car his arms folded and his Ray Ban glasses sitting slightly crooked on his face as his eyebrows raise in question. There's no beam of sunlight anywhere but he still decides to wear his sun glasses.

Well great, I guess we're starting with the interactions early. Just my luck.

I slowly walk back to my car, avoiding eye contact even though I'm not able to see his eyes behind his glasses I can still feel his gaze burning in front of me. Quickly walking past him and to the drivers side  I unlock the car, but haven't made a move to open the door. He turns around slightly, with only the car creating the space between us.