6. Suspicion

ENNY'S P.O.V

"Whatcha looking at?" I ask, leaning over to get a better look at Caleb's phone screen. The way he's looking at his phone worries me. A deep crease has formed between his eyebrows, and I know that means trouble. But as I lean towards him, he leans away, pulling his phone into his chest so that I definitely can't see.

"It's nothing," he replies, and I hear the familiar click as his phone screen turns off. "Don't worry about it."

He picks up the bottle of vodka and takes another sip of it. I raise an eyebrow at him in confusion. Something seems off. I can't quite place my finger on what it is because Caleb goes through mood swings and is an avid drinker in general, but he's giving off a weird vibe right now.

"Is everything okay?" I ask. He places the bottle back down on the glass table, which makes a loud thud.

He waves a hand. "Yes, yes, everything is fine."

I'm still skeptical. "You don't seem so sure about that."

"No," he nods his head and flashes his award-winning smile at me. "I'm sure."

I squint my eyes at him, not quite buying whatever shit he's spewing out right now. But it's fine. If he doesn't want to tell me now, so be it. We finish the rest of our meals in silence. There's obviously something bothering him that he refuses to tell me, and it's starting to bother me as well. This funk, whatever it is, hangs in the air like a dark cloud on a stormy day. Caleb's never been one to keep secrets, and I wonder what could be so bad that he feels like he can't speak about it.

"Caleb I'm gonna find out one way or another," I say after I've swallowed the last bit of bread. "There's no way in hell that the truth won't come out. No matter what, it always does. It'll eat away at your tiny little brain until it just pops out one day. It's just a matter of time. So you can either tell me now or waste my time and tell me in a few days or weeks."

"I wish I could tell you, but I just don't think I can. Not until I figure it out myself first." He says as he bounces his leg up and down. What the fuck?

"Why do you think that you can't tell me? Is it something bad?"

"It's nothing."

"What has gotten into you lately? What did you do with Caleb?"

He chuckles and smiles at me. "I'm right here. I always have been and always will be right here." He gestures to the apartment. "Home."

"You're cute," I say with a laugh. "Getting all emotional now aren't we?"

He lets out a weak laugh. "Yeah."

"CALEB!" I shriek when I see the box of cigarettes sticking out from his pocket.

"What?" He says, acting all innocent. As if this boy doesn't know what I'm referring to. He glances down at his pocket and starts to bring his hand up to conceal the box of lung cancer.

I grab the box from his pocket and hold it up to his face. "Why the hell would you continue to ruin your life like this? This is such a stupid thing to do! I thought you quit, you dumbass!"

His cheeks turn pink and his ears become bright red. He reaches for the pack, but I yank it out of his reach. Payback for the food earlier. "I-" he stammers. "I don't know..."

I grab the trash can from my office and the shredder as well. I plug it into the wall and place the two in front of Caleb. I then shove the pack of cigarettes into his hands.

"Uh, Enny, I don't see how this is going to work..." He says as he looks at the cigarettes and the shredder. "These cigarettes aren't gonna fit."

I sigh and stand up, grabbing a pair of scissors. I hand them to him, holding the blades in my hand like a good person would do. "You know what to do."

"This is stupid."

"It'll get the message across," I say. "Now cut the damn cigarettes and put them in the trash!"

I watch as he cuts each cigarette into 5 small pieces and throws each one into the shredder. It makes awful sounds, but it's not like I can't just get another one. This one has been starting to get old anyway.

"Good boy," I say when he's done. As I leave the room to put the trash can away, I flick his forehead. "Moron."

"Ow!" He exclaims.

"Deserved it." I say.

I walk into my office and remember how Caleb used to be when he was 18. I remember the day when he bought his first pack of cigarettes and how I almost punched him in the face when he did. I told him he was being an idiot for doing so, but he didn't listen, and he smoked almost a pack a day. Then, when his health got worse, he finally listened to me.

"Hey! Enny!" Caleb yells from the other room. "I'm gonna drop by the office, I think I left something there!"

"Okay! Have fun!" I yell back. I walk out of my office and watch as he walks down the stairs still putting a shirt on. I admire his toned abs and tan skin and find myself staring.

I tear my gaze away. His ego doesn't need any more food. It's already obese.

"Why'd you change your outfit?" I ask him.

"More comfortable wearing this." He replies motioning to his black jeans and white t-shirt. "I'll be back soon"

CALEB'S P.O.V

I'm gonna kill that bastard. When I find him at least.

As I walk towards the company's building, I start thinking I should have worked out more. I'm as thin as a stick compared to Henry's giant body.

I find him and his new girl when I'm about a block away from the building. Anger boils in my blood when I see him grab the hand of the girl. Cheating little son of a bitch. One day he's out with Enny, and the next he's canoodling with some other girl in some restaurant in the heart of New York City. The nerve.

I calmly walk into the restaurant that they are at and make my way over to the table that they're sitting at. They both look up when I'm standing right next to them.

"Um, can I help you?" Henry asks. The girl is looking up at me in awe.

"Henry!" She says. "That's Caleb Emery!"

"Who?"

"CEO of Caleny co!"

I smile at her, but when my eyes meet Henry's, the smile disappears from my face. "Do you mind if I steal Henry here for a few moments?" I ask her sweetly.

"Sure, go ahead." She replies. Maybe she, too, feels relieved that she'll get a moment of peace away from Henry.

"Can we talk outside for a second?" I ask him. His eyes are as cold as ice when he nods his head. He places his napkin on the table, smiling at the girl before following me outside.

"What do you want, Caleb?" He sneers when we make it out of the restaurant. He starts walking into a nearby alley and I follow him.

"I wanna know why you're with that girl when you're already dating my best friend!" I exclaim.

"I don't know what you're talking about buddy." He says, a slight smirk tugging at the corners of his lips.

"Oh, you know exactly what I'm talking about."

"Here's what," he says, and to my horror, he pulls out a handgun from inside his suit jacket. I'll admit, I was not expecting that one. He puts it against my chest. "You'll keep your mouth shut. Are we clear?"

I nod my head and step back when he lowers his gun.

He chuckles and shakes his head. "You're such a wimp. I suggest you stick to running your stupid little business and don't get all up in mine. And so help me god, if I find out you told Enny...you're gonna pay."

He walks back to the restaurant without another glance back.

Oh, Enny, what'd you get yourself into?