28. Gazing

ENNY'S P.O.V

Caleb and I sit side by side, heads leaning up against the wall of the elevator, gazing towards each other.

His green eyes stare into mine with such an intensity that I feel the need to look away, but I don't. He's too intriguing to look away from. His eyes are, up close, a mixture of blues, browns, but mostly greens. I've always been envious of people with light eyes. They're the most interesting things in the world; so many colors and patterns...it's like looking at a piece of modern art.

Unfortunately for me, I have brown eyes. Which aren't necessarily a bad thing, not at all! They just don't have that certain interesting-ness that green or blue eyes have.

I then notice the perfect slope of his nose, his lush rosy lips, and the sharpness of his jaw; all the things I never took the time to appreciate about him. My eyes travel further down, towards his broad shoulders and large biceps clearly showing through the shirt he wears. I'm sure underneath it there are some perfectly toned abs.

What the hell am I thinking?

I snap my eyes back up to his, only to find that he's still staring at me. I tear my gaze away, choosing instead to look at the gray carpet, feeling suddenly tense being in such close quarters with him. My heart thumps heavily in my chest, and I can hear the beating in my ears.

"Do you want to play truth or dare?" Caleb asks me, and I smile, still staring at the floor.

"I haven't played that since middle school," I reply, lifting my eyes to his.

"Well, there's no time like the present, so what d'you say?"

"I mean, there's not much daring we can do in here," I say, gesturing to the bland elevator. "But I'm down if you want to."

"Okay, truth or dare, then?" He asks me, a boyish grin on his face.

"Truth."

He massages his chin in thought, biting his lip as if he's really thinking. I can tell from the slight smirk he has that he's dramatizing the whole thing. "Did you ever sneak out in high school?"

"Nope," I answer. "I was a good kid."

"Right, of course." He says, nodding his head.

"Truth or dare?" I ask him, not really wanting him to say dare because I don't know what I would dare him to do.

"Dare," he says, smirking.

"Okay, um..." I say, glancing around the space although there isn't really much to look at. "I dare you to...press all the buttons on the elevator to screw with everybody else who needs to use the elevator."

"Easy peasy lemon squeezy," he says, pushing himself off of the floor and walking over to the button thing on the wall. He slides his hand over all 50 of the buttons, and I watch as they all glow a yellowish color as he presses them. It's gonna really make somebody happy today. He plops back down next to me, turning to face me. "Truth or dare?"

I begin to say truth, but he cocks an eyebrow at me, pressuring me into choosing dare.

"I'm not gonna choose dare!" I exclaim, a smile spreading across my face.

He pouts. "What's the fun in just truth? We might as well be playing 20 questions or something!" He says. "Choose dare...I dare you."

"No. I choose truth," I say to him. After all, I've never really been one to do dares.

"I double dog dare you." He says, grinning.

I roll my eyes. "Fine, if you insist. Dare."