Chapter 1 - Home Lies Far Away

In the moments between night and morning, just before sunrise, where the deep darkness began to fade away, dipping the world in the blueness of the sky, was when Dania felt most at peace. There was no sound save the soft breeze, carrying with it the smell of mud and pine from deep within the forest. 

Like every other morning, she began her walk towards the top of the hill that dominated the landscape just outside the small village where she resided. Rocks and branches covered the path, tearing and tangling the bottom of her skirts.

The sun was beginning to rise as she reached the top, the deep blue in the sky mixing itself with the warm orange glow of the soft autumn sun. It seemed incongruously peaceful out here, with the crackling of leaves from wind whispering through the trees mingling with the sound of birds going about their business overhead. The far-off knocking of a woodpecker echoed through the air, along with the liquid duet of mockingbirds, somewhere in the tall trees. Content, Dania sighed, emptying her mind from everything other than the eerily calming sounds of nature surrounding her. From up here, she could see far beyond Dunland — far beyond the land she hated. But she could barely see the outline of the Misty Mountains in the soft lavender sky, which blocked the one thing she would ever dream of seeing again: home.

Ever since the Dwarves had settled in the neighbouring villages of Dunland, 7 years ago, Dania had felt utterly out of place. Her father — one of the King's most trusted advisors — had grown grimmer by the day and even though he never said a word to her — nor to anyone about it, Dania knew her mother's death caused him immense pain. Sometimes, in the evening as they sat down for their meal, she could see a pang of faint guilt in his eyes — as if he blamed himself for what had happened to her. Dania hated the idea, but even so, she knew not how to talk to him about it. The mere thought of her mother clogged her throat; like something was taking away all the air in her lungs. And so she never spoke of it, burying the thought of her deep inside.

She began her stroll down the hill when the sun had fully risen, the orange glow of the early morning illuminating the trees that swayed in the wind. A small bird was standing on the path ahead of her, its gentle song easing the insecurities of the night. Her boots sank soundlessly into thick black leaf mould as she began to hum in unison with the surrounding birds but then thought better of her behaviour once she reached the village, not being in the mood for stares and judgment. 

Now, Galtrev was a small village — but a very busy one, if you compared it with the villages around. Although to Dania, and all the Dwarves, every village and town seemed remotely inviting nor enchanting as their beloved home. Situated in the middle of the Hill Lands, Galtrev was the center of all trading in the region, which filled it with Men from all around, though no more welcoming than the locals. The man Dania worked for was one of those who was not over-fond of Dwarves,  and he made no secret of it, either. But Dania made no comment about it. Even if she wanted to, she did not think she would have the strength to face someone as odd and vile as him.

Pushing open the door, Dania stepped inside the small crooked shop, her eyes landing on none other than the man in question in front of her. Geth was his name, and dark as night was his hair. He was a skinny man, with long legs and arms that seemed too long for his crooked body. When he stood up, his back would arch so that his whole figure was bent in two. But even half his size, he was still much taller than Dania — much like all the Dunlendings were, in fact, taller than all her kin.

The sound of the bell attached to the door made him aware of her presence and — turning around to face her — his eyes looked up and down her small figure and he chuckled. "T'was about time you showed up," Geth said as he walked towards another room, even though she was right on time, give or take a minute or so. How to make a fuss about nothing and everything, if you asked me, she thought to herself. Still, she quietly followed him.