Chapter 12 - A Light In The Shadows

The Winter morning's chill still clung to Dania's cloak as she entered the sitting room, finding it colder than the snow-covered streets. Dania had always felt at home in this house — as much as she could halfway across the world from her real home, anyways — but now it felt cold. Unfamiliar. A heaviness reigned inside the room, and Dania felt the air itself was pushing down on her, constricting her movements. 

Dis sat on the sofa, unmoving, her eyes fixed on the flames burning in the hearth. Dania felt as though her friend was so far away in her thoughts that she did not even notice her presence, but when she sat down next to her and opened her arms, Dis took immediate refuge inside the warm embrace. 

Dania felt the princess trembling lightly, which only made her own tears come back. The night she had spent with Thorin had brought her an unexpected comfort during which Frerin's passing had been pushed at the back of her mind, but she could not evade the sickening truth of what had happened forever. Pain stung her heart so hard it felt like a physical wound. 

"Did you talk to Thorin?"

Dania was startled by the question, having not expected her friend to find it in her to breach the subject. She thought that perhaps Dis was asking to distract herself, something Dania understood, and even more than that, she wished she could have used this as an opportunity to distract herself as well. She also wished she could have shared with her best friend all the emotions that were threatening to inundate her, but she was forced to keep most of them secret. Realizing she had not yet spoken, Dania formulated an answer to one of the questions subordinate to Dis' broader inquiry. 

"He would not talk of it," Dania said. "I fear he will never be ready to speak of what happened on that battlefield."

Dis nodded, though Dania could see in her face that that was not the answer she had been seeking. Her response only tightened the knot in Dania's heart, but she could not ignore the promise underlying Thorin's words from the previous night. We can keep it a secret — he would not tell anyone, and neither would she. At least, not before seeing with him if they could trust Dis with their secret. Dania did, of course, but she would take no risks before consulting him. 

She hoped he would share her opinion, for she did not think it would remain a secret long to the princess. Dis would puzzle it out even if they chose not to tell her, Dania was certain. 

"I was certain he would talk to you," Dis spoke in a strained voice. "Out of all people, he would confide in you, I am sure of it. Perhaps later."

Dania nodded absently, her gaze turning to the door as it was pushed open. "Perhaps."

Her eyes landed on a broad-shouldered Dwarf with a mohawk, whom she recognized as Dwalin. He was accompanied by a shorter Dwarf with a long beard whom she deduced must be his brother, Balin, due to the many similarities between the two. 

Dwalin's gaze caught Dania's, and he bowed slightly before turning to Dis, who was eyeing them curiously as she sat upright, her hands still clutching her friend's arm. 

"Dwalin," Dis spoke up, "are you not supposed to be with Thorin?" 

"King Thrain wanted to speak to him alone," Dwalin responded plainly. 

Dania had no way of knowing what it was the King was discussing with his son, but she could not help but feel worried. Could they have found out already?

 "We are here to speak to Dania."

Dania started, her uneasiness growing. The King talking to Thorin, and now this? What was going on? She felt Dis' questioning gaze on her and could only shrug in response.