Chapter 6 - Gold Long Gone, But Not Forgotten

Chapter 6  - Gold Long Gone, But Not Forgotten

As though aware that the clement weather had been sufficiently enjoyed, Ulmo had cast away the sun and soaked the land in torrents of rainfall. The downpour washed away the remnants of the summer, brushing away the leaves from the streets and soaking the dirt roads so that the ground was so spongy that Dania's boots sank into it as she walked. As such, the hem of her skirt was wet and muddied. Upon making that observation, she sighed in irritation, not having the spirits to deal with the embarrassment that was her appearance.

Fortunately, Nàl, Ester, and Iliana were not with Dís when Dania greeted her and, being the dear friend she was, came to her rescue. She quickly dragged Dania to her bedroom, where — she informed her — she would lend Dania one of her own dresses.

As they dashed across the hallway toward the stairs, Dania caught a glimpse of the sitting room, which was unusually packed with people. Dania recognized the King and his son, and near them, Thorin, standing beside her father, both of them bearing stern expressions on their faces as they stared at the other Dwarfs around them. Just as Dania was about to question Dís on the subject, a loud curse was heard, followed by what sounded like the breaking of glass.

"What in Durin's name is going on?" Dania asked her in a fervid whisper.

Dís gave Dania a wide-eyed look before taking her arm and shoving her in the bedroom, quickly shutting the door behind them.

"I am so sorry!" Dís said, clearly embarrassed about something as she shook her head in a defeated manner. "I should have told you not to come, but I could not bear this alone anymore!"

"It's alright, Dís," Dania said, though quite confused. "Why do you think I shouldn't have come?"

Dís took a deep gulp of air, as though she had nervously been holding her breath. "It's my grandfather," she sputtered.

"What about him?" Dania asked curiously as she sat down beside her friend on her bed.

"He has been talking about Erebor for weeks now," Dís said, making her frown, "but in most unusual ways. Where there was once longing and sadness in his speech, there is only anger. That was him — shouting downstairs — he's —" she paused, as though to steady herself, before she whispered one word that made a shiver run through Dania's spine, "— he's sick."

"You mean — ?"

She nodded her head fervidly. "He had seemed better, I thought, but now . . ." she trailed off as she stared into the distance, her eyes filled with fear.

"Dís, it's going to be alright," Dania said to reassure her, though she knew not how it would possibly be alright.

Dís let out another sigh. "I don't think he will recover from it this time."

Dania was about to contradict her once more in the hopes of offering her some reassurance, but something in her tone made her frown: Dís sounded resigned.

"Why ever not?" Dania asked.

"He wants to reclaim Khazad-dûm," Dís said in a low voice, not as though she was afraid she might be overheard, but as though she was afraid of hearing those words herself.

"What?" Dania exclaimed, unable to control herself.

"I know!" Dís shrieked. Her eyes went wide. "Dania, I am so scared!"

Dania moved to sit closer to her and engulfed her in a tight embrace, not knowing what else she could do to give her comfort. Dís leaned into Dania's touch as she wrapped her arms around her in return. Dania could sense Dís' uneasiness as she shivered in her hold, but was reassured as her shoulders relaxed, her anxieties letting go of their grip on her, if only for a moment.