Chapter 3 - Reminiscing and Revelations

In Erebor, the position of lady-in-waiting had been seen as a most honourable one, appointed to daughters of trustworthy advisors in payment for their work in the name of the crown. Of course, the position had nothing to do with wealth anymore, but the tradition was kept for familiarity, and because the few people who were still at the King's side deserved to be honoured.

It was on the first real Spring day of the year that Dania had the pleasure of meeting Dis' ladies-in-waiting. It was real first day of Spring, because so far, the weather had been rather unforgiving, and it was the first day on which the sun's warmth could be felt.

Dís had three ladies-in-waiting. The first she introduced as Nàl. She was tall and slender with a long and pointed face. Beside her sat Ester, sun-kissed and dumpier. She was hearty and quite the gossiper, as Dania had only just found out in the brief moments since our acquaintance. Finally, there was Iliana, whom Dania liked most thus far. While they conversed and drank tea in the sitting room, Dania noticed that the four of them had much more beautiful gowns than her. she tried not to let it bother her.

". . . Next thing you know, my father tells me he intends for us to marry," Ester sighed dramatically as she set her cup on the end table. "Can you believe that?"

"Come now," Nàl said with a wry smile, "Ingi is not as terrible as you make him out to be."

Ester gave another over-dramatic, exasperated look.

"He's kind, loyal, and quite handsome if you know how to look," Nàl said.

"But he's not exactly my type," she retorted.

Iliana snorted. "Then what is your type?"

Ester sat upright and gave her a look. "I'm much more attracted to Dwarves who are stronger and fiercer — "

" — like Dwalin!" Iliana teased.

Dania gave Dís a questioning look, who merely shook her head, a slight smirk on her lips.

Ester blushed madly, then tried to recompose herself. "Well, yes. Dwalin is a very respectable — "

Nàl snorted. "Oh, please!" she exclaimed. "We all know you fancy —"

The door swung open, and a younger dwarf came stumbling in, red-faced and panting heavily, but a wide small on his face. Dania smiled to herself as she recognized him.

"Frerin!" Dís hissed. "What have we told you about walking in unannounced?"

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry!" he said hastily, "it's just Thorin said — "

He stopped abruptly as his eyes landed on the girl he had rushed in to see.

"Dania!" he said, his smile growing wider, but then he stumbled at seeing his sister's expression. "Dania! Thorin said Dania was here, so I — "

The sudden rapid pulse of Dania's heart drowned out the rest of his sentence. Had the prince been talking about me? she thought with childish excitement. These thoughts surprised her, and she tried to shake them off.

"It is so good to see you!" she heard Frerin say and smiled at him, trying to ignore the thumping in her chest.

"It is good to see you too, Frerin," Dania said.

They had grown up together, in Erebor. Dis, Frerin, and Dania would often play together when Dania was not helping her mother with chores or when they were not busy with their lessons. Everything was so simple, back then.