The Poison Apple

The very next morning, the women were busy helping Hugo get cleaned up. Sarah fixed his shoes, and Kathy, Carol, and Alana cleaned his clothes. Lila got the tub ready for Hugo to take a bath. He was feeling a little better.

"We'll have you feeling better in no time, my boy," Lila smiled.

Pretty soon, Hugo was squeaky clean and put on his clothes.

"Okay, my lad, we're going out," Kim said. "You need to stay in here."

"Don't let anybody inside the house," Jane added.

"Okay," Hugo promised.

Once the women left, Hugo stayed inside the house. He knew he would have itchy feet, having to stay in one place for the rest of his life, but it was for his own good. He just wished that Gaston would be gone, so he wouldn't have to worry about his death.

Hugo's new friends had been out for about an hour. Just as Hugo was feeling bored, he saw a man wearing a cape. The man went up to the house and peeked through the window.

"All alone, my pet?" the man asked.

Hugo knew he shouldn't be letting anyone inside the house, and he wasn't supposed to leave the house. Little did he know that the man was really his stepfather in disguise.

"Yes, I am," Hugo replied nervously.

"The seven women who live in this house are not here?" the man asked.

"No, they went out for a hike in the woods," Hugo replied.

"Ah, I was just dropping by to give them these apples," the man told him.

When nobody was looking, a bear with a green amulet was listening to the conversation. She took a peek through the window and saw that the young man in the house was Hugo. She could recognize him anywhere.

"Oh, I'm sure they would love them," Hugo smiled.

"Yes, but you must try the red one, my boy," the man suggested. "I hear red apples are the tastiest. Would you like to try one?"

The bear didn't like where this was going.

"Go on," the man urged.

Hugo picked up the red apple and took a bite of it. Suddenly, he started feeling a little woozy.

"Oh, I'm a little tired," Hugo yawned. Then he fell asleep on the floor.

The king was pleased with this and cackled, "At last I am the most charming one of all!"

Gaston fled back to the palace. In no time, the seven women returned.

"Prince Hugo, we're back," Sarah called.

Suddenly, Kim found Hugo on the floor and cried, "Oh, no!"

The seven women saw Hugo lying on the floor. They knew that this was the work of his wicked stepfather. The women were unwilling to bury the prince, so they placed him in a fancy glass coffin.