3. The Meet

I read over an over again to derive some sense as to why the word "ranches" was underlined.

I thought of every possible theory but ended up with settling on the fact that it was probably a random doodle.

I glanced at the clock wiping the sweat beads of my forehead. It was 2 am already. I turned of the bed post lamp and fell into uneasy sleep.

It was Saturday.

I woke up at 8am.

Mom and dad were already gone and had left a note addressed to me.

We had to leave urgently for Italy.
We will be back in three days.
Take care.
Love,
Mom

I ate my cereal halfheartedly.

I had not told Jake about my meeting with Alec.

The thought of telling him already had me rolling my eyes.

I thought of keeping it a secret.

But being the date of the President of the School Newsletter Committee, keeping it under wrap seemed distant to me.

I was adamant about not telling this to Jake. I know I would be hurting his tiny heart but the thing I had on my mind was worth it.

Besides, he couldn't stand to be angry from me for more than three hours.

I showered and dressed up in a black blazer and matching tailored pants with black strappy heels. I pulled my hair in a french roll. I did some nude makeup.

Alec came to pick me up at exact 12.

"So Miss you like me now?"
He said opening the passenger door for me.

I smiled at his cuteness.

"A cute brainy guy with dimples is my all time favourite"
I said flirtatiously.

"You know what I'm having hard time concentrating on not crashing the car on pavement cause you look so distracting as always"
He said risking a glance my way.

"Thanks. You too.... But I am glad I could never distract you from getting good grades"
I said smiling.

We reached the Meet on time.

He intertwined his fingers with mine. Heads turned in our direction. More than hundred pair of awed eyes turned towards us. Together we walked to the front row.

He addressed the gathering about the past achievements of the committee and the future goals.

He spoke with so much confidence and conviction that could move the mountains, and the crowd was merely composed of humans.

I was glowing with pride and beamed at him as he walked down from the stage. The hall was filled with thunderous applause.

I hugged him tightly.

"You are amazing speaker!"

People exchanged votes of thank as the Meet concluded.

"Urm... Alec do we have old school mags and all here?"
I asked him.

"Yeah in the basement probably. But why?"

"I wanted to have a look at them because I want to see the old prom queens. You know girly things"
I said looking at my feet.

"Sure. I'll come with you"
He said chuckling.

I panicked for a moment. I didn't want him to come with me. I couldn't let him into my secret.

"No! No! You should attend to the guests first. I'll manage"

I said frantically. My composed facade slipping for a moment.

Before Alec could say something some eminent guests walked over to him.

"You attend to your guests. I'll help myself"
I whispered to him gaining the calm facade again.

"Excuse me"
I said smiling and hurried off towards the staircase.

I ran bursting inside the basement and went straight for the old school magazines corner.

They were arranged year wise. So I had no problem digging out the edition I wanted.

I frantically flipped through the pages searching for what I wanted.

2011 Prom

There I saw the photographs of Tiff and Ethan as Prom King and Queen. Ethan's hand on her waist both smiling at the camera in their crowns.

I searched for some old yearbooks.

I heard footsteps outside on the staircase.

I knew this was my last chance to find something here without drawing any suspicion.

I yanked the yearbook of 2011 and stuffed the magazine and yearbook under my blazer.

I turned swiftly to find Alec watching me.

"What?" I said smoothing my hair.

"Miss Alice in Wonderland the magazine section is there"
He said smiling.

I gave a sigh of relief. He hadn't seen me stuffing the books.

"Yeah I know. But I just got lost. Going from one book to another and here I am"
I said smiling.

We walked back up to the Hall.

"Do you mind getting some photographs with me? They want it for this year's magazine"
Alec asked.

"Yeah sure"
He slipped his hand on my waist and pulled me closer.

My heart skipped a beat when his hand was close to the hidden books under my blazer.

------------------------------------------------------

He drove us to the Il Milano.

"You like Italian?"
I asked him.

"Yeah"

He ordered bruschetta and a cheese pizza while I ordered spaghetti with clam sauce.

"Sorry for killing your day. You don't like meets."

"Not at all. I loved it! It was such a break from Jake's loser games and dinner dates. It was amazing. Thanks for having me"
I said putting on my best smile.

His eyes lightened up. I didn't knew I meant so much to him.

"Wine?"
He asked.

"Sparkling water please"

"Sparkling water for two, please"
He ordered.

After a ten minute debate, Alec convinced me let him be the gentleman and pay the bill.

It was 7pm. Time flew by so fast. I didn't realise. The dusk was already setting in.

He drove me back home.

The car halted in front of my house.

He turned to face me and leaned in.

"Alec..."
I pulled back.

"Are you still adamant on not giving me a chance?"
He asked sadly.

"We should try being friends first"
I offered.

I kissed him on his cheek and got out of the car.