Chapter 15

For the rest of the day, I keep my mind going long enough for me to contemplate going all Yandere Simulator on my teachers. I get that one of the main parts of high school is the load of homework, but come on. Some of us have jobs (if we're lucky), or extracurricular activities to do after school, leaving us barely any time for homework. Now, if the teachers extended the deadline by a day or so, that would make it a little easier.

     Maybe if I had either a job or an extracurricular activity, my complaint would be a bit stronger. 

     The last bell rings, and I'm out of the last period classroom, happy that I can get out of the school for the rest of the day. I can worry about it tomorrow.

     That is, until I remember the conversation I had with Jules at lunch.

     "Dammit," I mutter.

     "What's wrong? Forgot to get Junkie Jules' drugs?" a guy near me mocks.

     Both my hands clench into fists, but I walk on without comment.

     The outside has gotten colder today, so I cross my arms for warmth. Turning a corner, I can see Jules sitting by the flagpole, just like she told me where we should meet. Feeling like a soldier going to battle, I march on towards her.

     As I get closer, I slow my pace down and walk normally. Jules looks up when I'm a couple feet away. "Yay! You're here!" She jumps up and picks up her backpack. "Come on, if we hurry, we can get to my house by 3:15."

     "We're walking?" I ask, but Jules simply grabs my wrist and drags me across campus. "Isn't your house about fifteen miles?"

     "No." That's all Jules will say.

     For anyone who's ever run a marathon must have started by walking the amount of distance Jules and I are covering. By the time we get to the tree Dominic and I sat in, my feet are aching, and I'm considering taking up some jogging just so my feet wouldn't hurt so damn much. "We're getting closer!" Jules says.

     "Closer to death?" I pipe up.

     She laughs. "You're funny."

     As we indeed get closer, I get a better look at the house. I knew it was going to be a nice one, but geez. It's the life-sized version of a gingerbread house, including the brown paint and white piping. To be frank, I wouldn't be surprised to find the windows are made out of thin sheets of Jolly Ranchers. 

     Jules hops on the porch and turns to me. "You coming in or what?" Without waiting for my response, she barges into the house, shouting, "I'm hoooome!"

     Three deep voices follow her announcement:

     "Hello!"

     "Shut up, Jules!"

     "Meh!"

     Jules smiles at me meekly. "My brothers," she explains quietly. "Come on, I wanna introduce you to them."

     I follow her to what looks to be a living room. The couch and its chair companion are occupied by three guys with the same hair color as Jules. Only one of them has straighter hair, and he's sitting sideways on the chair, completely focused on his DS. The other two are competing with each other by playing a video game on the TV.

     The straight haired guy looks up. I notice the familiar purple tie hanging loosely from his neck. Randy smiles. "Hey, Jules!" he says. He sends a nod my way. "What's up, Callie?"

     Both my eyebrows raise, and Jules excitedly asks, "You two know each other?"

     "Kind of," Randy says just as I open my mouth. "We were in the same orchestra last year. You remember, don't you, Callie?"

     I can manage a "Yeah." 

     There's awkward silence in the room, and it's making me uncomfortable. Jules speaks up, "Callie's here for homework. We're going to be in my room." She grabs me by the wrist again and drags me out of the room and up the stairs.

     We have to step over some things on the floor before we get to the door at the end of the small hallway. "Here it is!" Jules opens the door, and I peer in, expecting something--anything--odd about it.

     It's just an average room for a girl. With an unnatural obsession for Five Nights at Freddy's, apparently.

     "See?"

     I step over a Foxy plush, and I try my best to not appear disturbed. Turns out I don't have to; Jules is too busy hopping on the bed, and patting on the spot next to her. "Is there enough room here for my homework?" I ask quietly.

     "Yep!" Jules pats on the bed again. With a sigh, I sit next to her. I pull out the things I need, push some lead out of the pencil, and I start writing. After solving several problems, Jules pipes up, "Is that all you're going to do?"

     "Yes?" I look up. "You said I can do my homework here."

     "True . . ." she drawls. "But I was hoping we can do it together."

     Without an immediate response, I hand her the papers. Holding out the pencil, I say, "There. We can do it together." At least I can get the homework done faster, I think. 

     Jules just laughs. "That's not what I meant."

     "Um, what other way is there?"

     "Like this!" Before I can comprehend (or avoid) what the hell's going on, Jules leans over and grabs my waist. She pulls me closer and closer until we both fall flat on the bed. I'm staring at the ceiling wide-eyed, trying my best not to hyperventilate. "See? Much better!"

     I squeak, "Great. How am I going to do my homework now?"

     "That's easy." Jules sits up and takes the homework. She puts it on my side and gives me my pencil. "Get on your side," she instructs. I do, mostly so I wouldn't have to be so close to her. Sadly, she's anticipated that, and puts her arm around my waist. 

      "Talk about awkward," I mutter.

     "Who's talking about that?"

     I shake my head. "No one."

     "Then why'd you say it?"

     "Just, forget it."