Chapter 19

"Can I go to the nurse's office?" I ask Mr. Neven quietly, barely twenty minutes after class started, and ten after he instructed us to start warming up our portions of a current song before he starts conducting.

     "What's your reasoning?" he responds.

     To yell at Jules for the fucking fight, I want to say. Instead, I point at my stomach. "I'm getting a stomachache."

     Nodding in understanding, the music teacher pulls out a notepad and writes on out for me. "Hurry back if you can," he grunts. I nod and quickly leave the classroom.

     On my way to the nurse, I hear some whispering, but I assume it's a hushed conversation between a guy and a girl. Probably about a date. Man, the things you can pick up from walking down a quiet hallway. 

     Pushing the thought out of my head, I open the office door, and then the nurse's door. The first thing I see are the usual health posters tacked on the wall, most likely with chewed gum as the tape. The room is tiny, barely enough to have two beds, but I don't see the nurse anywhere. Jules, on the other hand, is waving at me from one of the beds she's sitting at the edge of.

     "Hi, Callie!" she stage-whispers. "How are you?" I'm busy examining the injuries, from a couple of cuts to blood-spattered skin to bright pink patches, which would become bruises later. From the scene, it looked as if the guy was really hammering her. Now, it doesn't look as bad. Maybe the shock of watching a legitimate school fight made the whole thing more intense.

     Or Jules is secretly a vampire. That's a plausible excuse, especially with the pale skin.

     Snapping to the present, I glower down at her. "You're asking me how I am?" I demand in the same volume, crossing my arms at the same time. "You were in a fucking fight not too long ago."

     She gives me a bloody smile. I think one of her teeth inadvertently sliced the inside of her cheek when she was punched. "But you're here! That makes it worthwhile."

     "Wh-what was the fight even about?" Jules gestures to the bed across from her. "No, I'm standing right here. This isn't some damn reward for you."

     For once, Jules isn't smiling. "Okay," she says. "It was a typical thing, us insulting each other, which then led to having our fists do the talking." The brief image of two fists having a cup of tea passes through my mind before I shake my head to get it out. "No, it's not a typical thing?"

     "No, not you," I say. "You just insulted each other out of the blue?"

     She shrugs. "What else is there to know?" A long pause wedges into the conversation. Jules then smiles wide again. "You can stay here for a little bit! It'll be like a sleepover!" I stare at her in disbelief. "No sleepover? There are beds here, so I thought you'd like a nap--"

     "No, Jules," I interrupt. "I have class." I turn on my heel and start to leave. I hear some shambling behind me, and I look down in time to see a pair of arms going around my waist, jerking me back a bit. I'm beginning to doubt the fight affected Jules in any way. 

     "I want a hug before you go," she tells me by my ear. I'm not understanding how people can find this position romantic; all it's doing is pissing me off.

     I grab her arms and pull them away from me. Without looking at her, I say, "Don't make me use some moves from my self-defense class. Good luck when you get to the principal's office." I walk away again, and this time, Jules doesn't try to get me back again.

__________

Callie: Hey, you there?

     I wait for five minutes until Dominic replies.