Chapter 21

I had planned to stay at home tonight and practice my violin, but Nancy's been annoying the hell out of me. She wouldn't leave me alone until I agreed to play Uno with her, round after round . . . and after round.

     There are only so many rounds a person can go through Uno without exploding.

     "Where are you going?" my sister asks me while shuffling the cards for the umpteenth round. I slide my jacket on and zip it up.

     "I'm going to a party," I respond.

     Knowing that I don't willingly come out of the house for parties, she says, "Really? Are you sure you thought that through?"

     "Yep, you convinced me to go."

     "Cool." Nancy pauses. "How?"

     Ignoring her, I notice an envelope on the kitchen counter. Mom must have gotten her paycheck today, and didn't have time to make a deposit. She's covering a couple of hours for one of her coworkers, so there's only Nancy and me in the house.

      And as soon as my sister stops shoving the cards towards me, I'll be leaving her alone as well. "My God, you're acting like Jules," I say, annoyed.

     "Who's Jules?" I remember that she was trying to be invisible when Mom was yelling at me about going to Jules' house. I guess the invisibility expands to hearing as well.

     "She's, you know, never mind. I gotta go." I put my hands in my pockets and pulls out a keyring. "I'm taking the car."

     "But what if there's going to be a zombie apocalypse?"

     I laugh. "Good luck surviving then." I walk out the door, hearing Nancy making disapproval statements. I tune her out as I get in the car and start the engine. 

     About half an hour, after May left, she sent me directions to get there. "Sometimes it's better to be prepared for any opportunities," she had explained when I questioned the text.

     The phone in my hand now, I take a quick look at the directions before I understand where I need to go for the first half. I check it again when I'm at the halfway point, and the third time when I arrive at the area. The last check might have been a little redundant; there's only one house in the neighborhood with loud music and people talking. 

     Feeling unsure about the whole thing, I call May on the phone. Her phone rings a couple of times before she answers. "Hi!" she says.

     I start with, "Hey," before I'm interrupted.

     "This is May, and sorry I can't be available right now. I'll get to you as soon as I can, though. Bye!" The phone goes dead in my ear. That's odd, I think. May almost never lets her voicemail an--

     Oh. I facepalm. She told me about her dentist appointment and the braces. I've never experienced braces before, but I've heard that they hurt when you first get them. How bad, no idea. Apparently, bad enough that May isn't answering her phone. 

     There's one way to find out, I tell myself. And that way is not going back home and pretend I'm at the party.  I step towards the house, glad that there aren't any cars currently driving on the road. My heart starts racing as the noise gets louder. I hold up a fist to knock on the door, and pause mid-air.

     I know Logan's definitely going to be here, but what if he's the only person I know at the party? That would really suck. All of the sudden I'm feeling like Katy Perry from her 'TGIF' video.

     The door opens before I decide to leave. A couple of people are rushing out in a fit of giggles. I look over my shoulder to watch them and wonder what the hell had happened. Someone taps on my shoulder, and I turn back to see a confused girl wearing a pink dress.