Chapter 24

I really wish Mom had texted me at lunch, instead of in the middle of math class. And I really wish I'd remember turning my phone on at vibrate, or at least silent. 

     "Callie, bring your phone to my desk," my math teacher, Mrs. Wilder, tells me from the front of the room as I'm reading the text. Mom mentioned that my anxiety meds have been refilled and that I can get it when I come home after school today.

     I shut the phone off to save the battery before I give it to the teacher. Nodding in appreciation, she adds, "You can get it back at the end of the day." I return to my seat. "Callie, do you by chance know how to solve this problem?"

     Giving her the correct answer, I slump in my seat and wait for the day to be over. Soon after, the bell rings, and I'm heading off to my next class. And the next one. And . . . the next one after lunch. 

     Along with the other students and teachers with not much grading to do, I zip out of the school campus as soon as the final bell rings. I realize after I've been waiting for five minutes for the bus I occasionally take that my phone is still in Mrs. Wilder's classroom. Knowing that my things aren't worth taking, I set them down in my place and head over there.

     "I figured you'd be back," Mrs. Wilder says nonchalantly. She doesn't even bother looking away from whatever the hell she's doing as she opens the 'prison' drawer (translation: a special place for confiscated phones) and pulls out not one, but several phones taken from earlier. "Take what's yours."

     I recently added a frog sticker to the plain back (my sister took the puppy stickers, which are pretty much the only good stickers in the package she got for the both of us), so it's not hard for me to find my phone underneath a couple of phones with Kim Kardashian-related cases. 

     Coming back out, I decide that I can check for any notifications while I'm waiting for the bus. There's another text from Mom, which basically says I shouldn't be playing with my phone during class. No shit, Mom, I think. 

     Facebook gave me a reminder, and I open it. Apparently, Jules also thought it was a good idea to text me during class, this time in English. This one is simply the number two and a happy face. I guess she doesn't want to spell out her excitement over coming back to school. Frankly, if she's ecstatic over that, then there's something going on with that girl.

     I feel a tap on my shoulder. Annalee is giving me an odd smile. "Everything alright?" she asks.

     Pocketing the phone, I answer, "I guess. Why?"

     Annalee glances around. "I heard there was a fight at a party last week," she says, low. "And that you were seen running out of the house in a full panic mode."

     "Does everyone in Fife know everything about what's going on inside its community and Edgewood's?" I ask.

     She smiles. "Something like that," she says. "Enough kids transfer here from Edgewood, and vice versa."

     "Oh."

     Annalee reaches for her hair and pulls it up. As she makes a ponytail, she asks, "What happened?"

     A tinge annoyed that I have to tell the story again, I do so while trying my best not to sound like a bitch. "That must suck," the senior says. "I'm sorry that you had to go through that."

     "I'm used to it," I say. The buses are arriving, and one by one they stop and open the doors for the kids. I wait for my bus to pull up, and I say, "I gotta go. Um, have a nice day, I guess?"

     "You too!"

     I'm piled in the vehicle by the other students, most of which are already complaining about the homework they have to do. Luckily for me, I've already done mine in the classes, and I can just finish my very last project tonight.