Chapter [18] High Road

Chapter Eighteen:

"Um...I meant uh." He scratched the back of his head nervously. "I gotta go." He darted out of my room.

"Wait!" I got in front of him which caused him to make an abrupt stop. He looked at me confused for a little. It was so sudden. His body relaxed a bit as he slowed down. He looked at me as though he was urging me to say something.

"What is it?" He whispered.

I glanced at his face but I was too embarrassed to say anything after what he had just said. I mean, could I really compete with her?

"Um. Nevermind." I rubbed the back of neck, looking at the floor. I stepped to the side so he could walk past me out of my room.

When he left, I closed the door and fell back on my bed and released a loud sigh. This day couldn't have gotten any worse.

"Why are you so glum?" Bonnie asked as she sat next to me.

"Im not glum, why would I be glum?" I shrugged lazily, not even looking at her.

"Because you've been acting like a snail all day. And you didn't even reply to me with an 'lol' when I sent you a gif of that kitten jumping on that lady's back. You just said 'yeah', so please tell me who's ass do I have to kick for making you so glum." Bonnie got serious.

"Skylor told me that he loved Cassie yesterday." I stopped stirring my mac and cheese and looked at her.

"Oh." She pouted. "Sweetie I'm so sorry." She hugged me. "He doesn't even deserve a dime piece like yourself."

"I guess you're right."

"Sky, are you okay?" Brett looked at me with sincerity in his eyes.

"Yes, I'm fine." I faked a smile.

After lunch I was at my locker getting a book for my next class. I closed it and turned around but was immediately met with someone's chest.

"Oh! I'm sorry." I panicked a little.

"You're the reason why my cousin is hurt." Some random guy hissed.

"What?" I shook my head.

"You. The guy from Valley who you lied on? Now he can't play in the State championship because you lied on him and got him jumped!" The boy snapped.

"I don't know what you're talking about." I pushed past him.

But he grabbed my wrist. "You framed him and everyone is gonna know what type of person you really are."

He let me go and I quickly walked off. Everything had been falling apart lately. I could feel tears surface in my eyes but I tried my best to wipe them and cover it up. I could feel all the tears trying to escape so I went to the room Jason and Crawford first locked me in.

The room was empty. I dropped my backpack on the floor and slid down against the wall. Tears began falling down my face. I can be very sensitive sometimes.

A couple of minutes into my sap time, someone walked in.

"Oh sh-!" Chase grabbed his heart. "You scared me." He glanced at me for a second until he saw how red and puffy my eyes were. "What happened?" He squatted in front of me and held my shoulder.

I sniffled a little and shook my head. "Nothing, it's just. It's been a long day."

"Did someone hurt you?" He asked.