Chapter 5

Clyde’s POV

Disgusted with the way Gavin’s staring blankly into the space, I smacked him on the head with my project paper. “Quit that! You’re disgusting!” I exclaimed as I took my seat opposite his in the cafeteria. Despite us taking difference courses and having different schedule, we would always find time to hang out together, be it lunch time or dinner.

He appeared to be snapped out from his trance when he noticed me. Not two seconds later, he went back to daydreaming with a soft sigh escaped from his lips. I narrowed my eyes in annoyance. “Damn it, Gav!” I said loud enough for him to hear me.

Gavin stared at me and giggled. I rolled my eyes. There was only one reason to why he was behaving this way. He had a crush on someone. Bad.

“Who is it?”

“Huh? Who?” he absentmindedly stabbed his tomato.

“Come on man. I haven’t seen you like this since we were seniors.”

“Like what?” he looked up at me. One thing about Gavin was that he was unaware how expressive he was. If he was angry, he would not make an effort to hide his wrath. And if he was sad, his frown could be seen miles away.

“You, my friend are finally having a crush!” I stated, stealing one of his tomatoes. He was too surprised at my words to defend his lunch.

He opened his mouth to say something but nothing came out. My jaw dropped at the sight. “Are you serious? Are you falling for her?”

He shook his head. “Not her.”

“Not her?”

“Shit.”

“Dude…”

“Shut up.” He said calmly as he covered his forehead in distress. I leaned in closer. “It’s a he?”

He glared at me. “Don’t laugh. You know how straight I am.”

“Hey, you have no problem with being bisexual why would I let it bothers me if you’re one too?” I patted his shoulder to reassure him. “But I have never been attracted to guys…why now?”

I thought for a moment. He was right. He never complimented any guys except for how badass they were but that was it. “Maybe you’re only attracted to this one guy? Things happen, you know?”

He looked at me, trying to find comfort in my words. He shook his head slowly. “Or it’s just an admiration…”

“Who is it, then?”

He looked around and said softly. “…Wyse…”

I frowned at the name. Blake? Suddenly I felt my senses cleared and I was glaring at Gavin. He was still looking at me. It was only yesterday that Gavin told me to stay away from the younger guy and now he was telling me he had a crush on him?

I didn’t realize I was tuning out all the noise until I saw Gavin’s mouth moved. “Clyde! Were you listening?” I felt a sudden rush of possessiveness and was about to leave when he added.

“It’s Blake’s brother. Not Blake, you dumb fool!” he whispered harshly at me before slapping my head. Okay, I deserved that. “You should have seen your face, man. You were ready to kill me.”

I narrowed my eyes at him. “I wasn’t.” I denied. “Yeah, right.” He drank from his juice. “Blake’s brother? How do you know him?”

“His brother is THE Dr. Ivan Wyse, the top researcher in Geoscience. I came along with Blake to fetch him at the airport yesterday. Well, at first he thought I was going out with Blake…” at this he eyed me slowly. I tried to act calm but I guess he must have seen through me. “…which we both denied BUT now you know he’s gay since Dr. Wyse’s question gave it away. You’re welcome. Just don’t play him.”