Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Clyde’s POV

It was almost 4 and I was sitting on a bench just right outside the Earth Science’s faculty where Blake’s last class was at. People started to swarm out of the door and I noticed they were staring at me.  I was used to people staring at me. It would be a lie to say I didn’t realize my reputation on the campus. Some said I was a player, some said I was a romantic. Either way, they were right.

I had problems with staying with one partner for a long period of time. It wasn’t that I only looked for sex. It was because I failed to feel the connection between my partner and me. Usually the break ups were mutual as they agreed they were ‘testing’ me out. Ouch. Some were not as easy.

This time, the staring was because of me being an out of place student. Engineering student at the Earth Science’s faculty. Though, they could be thinking of the right thing. I was waiting for my new date.

It took me a while to spot Blake who was surrounded by a flock of people who appeared to be asking him fervent questions. He looked like he was used to it so I just stayed at my seat and continued watching him. After a while, one by one left and the last herd waved him goodbye and I sniggered when I saw him looking around, looking lost.

I didn’t feel like calling out to him as I was enjoyed watching him from a distance. He actually had a good posture. His arms and limbs looked strong yet soft. His sandy coloured hair swayed every time he turned his head. He took out his phone from his pocket and as if he remembered something he quickly put it back. That remind me, I didn’t have his mobile phone number either.

I stood up and walked over to him, smiling when he saw me. “I thought…”

“Nah, I never stood anyone one. I’ve had my fair share of being stood up though,” I shrugged. He chuckled unbelievingly. “You? Yeah, right,” he snorted as we walked towards the parking place. “Hey, it’s true. They got cold feet,” I replied. He smacked my arm and scoffed. “Arrogant jerk.”

We got into my car and I started my engine. I looked over to him and studied him. “Yes?” he turned to me when he noticed I wasn’t starting.

I smiled at him. “C-Clyde?”

“Yes, Blake?”

He squirmed at his seat. “Is there something on my face?” redness was slowly creeping on his face and I pinched his cheek. “You’re just adorable.” He rolled his eyes. “Now, you’re sounding like my brother,” he scoffed. I grinned and faked punch his arm. “Well, are you ready?”

“I wouldn’t be in your car with you if I’m not. By the way, where are you taking me?” he replied. “Wait, there’s a car on the left,” he suddenly said.

I was pulling out from the parking space and forgot to check my surroundings. A red car drove by behind us. “Okay, it’s clear.”

I smiled and pulled out. “Thanks. You’re a good co-pilot,” I stated. He frowned at me. “What do you mean?” he looked like he was thinking for a while and then it hit him. “Oh, my father used to make us do that whenever we went out as we were jumping around at the back.” He rubbed the back of his head.

“Hmm…” I mumbled approvingly. “What does your father do?” I asked. He pursed his lips, as if trying to find a word to explain. “Well, he’s currently in a coma in the hospital…”

I could smack my head here and now if not for my hands on the steering wheel. “God, I’m sorry! I didn’t know!” I said, glancing over to look at me apologetically. I saw he smiled. And I knew that smile.

“Shit, Blake. That was not funny. Not funny at all!” I can’t believe I fell for that. Despite having an angelic innocent look, he was actually naughty!

He chuckled. “Sorry about that. My father passed away three years ago.” He said bluntly. I was about to scold him again but the tone of his voice told me he was telling the truth now. “He was a volcanologist. He and his research team went to a volcano in South East Asia. The mountain exploded. It wasn’t big but they were too close. Nobody got out.”

88888888888888888888888888

Blake’s POV

I swallowed the lump in my throat. I had just received my scholarship to go to Croxton and I was eager to tell my father that I got in. He was supportive of me in many of my choices. The same with my brother. Then, the next morning around 4, we received a phone call through the national agency.

My mom broke down immediately. My brother and I had the same reaction. He just stared blankly at our mother before he scooped her up. Ivan then pulled me close and wrapped his other hand around my shoulder. My father was supposed to fly back home on the day we received the news.

I felt Clyde’s hand rubbed on my shoulder, a little bit too close to my neck. I almost shivered to that. I turned to him, hoping I wasn’t tearing up. “Sorry to hear that. You family really like nature that much, huh? What does your mom do?” he said, a faint smile on his face.

I patted his hand. “My mom is a photojournalist.” He chuckled. “That explains it,” he said. “Yea. She’s the one who got me hooked on photography, though she prefers to take pictures of people,” I added. “By the way, I haven’t seen the photos you take the other day. Can I see them?” he asked.

Immediately I felt my face blushed. I still had the pictures of him sleeping in my laptop. Heck, I even printed them. And I left it on the table.  “Uh…yea, sure…”

He glanced at me, taking his eyes off the road momentarily. “You don’t sound sure,” he uttered. I shrugged him off. “I can’t really remember where they are but they’re in my room somewhere. I’ll tidy up my room a bit then I’ll call you?” I wasn’t really lying by the way. My room really was a mess for now. “Alright,” he said and I almost let out a sigh of relief. Now I had to hide his pictures before he sees them.

“Okay, you haven’t answered me yet. Where are you taking me?” I asked after I noticed we were driving away from town. “I’m sure you already went to this place, considering you like nature and stuff. We’re going to a horse ranch,” he said. My eyes widened in surprise. “There’s a horse ranch?” I exclaimed.

“What? You’ve never been there?” Clyde asked looking surprised.

I shook my head. “I didn’t even know Croxton has a horse ranch!” I was feeling excited and I knew Clyde knew it too. He ruffled my hair and chuckled. “We’ll be there in ten minutes.”

88888888888888888888888888

Heyhey! Sorry that this chapter is a little short but I hope you'll enjoy it nonetheless! Please comment and vote!