Sunflower

She couldn't stop running. Not now.

"Hey, come back!"

The familiar, shouting voice resonated with authority down the halls. Aobve? No, it sounded lower. She'd lost her for now.

'I can't believe I said that!'

Tears of vexation welled at the corners of the girl's narrowed eyes. They blurred her vision and slipped free with every running step. 'Why did I have to confess to senpai? Why couldn't I have just kept it in?!' Frustration tightened her small chest.

"Akoki-san! Akoki-san!"

She could still hear her calling for her down the hall. It sounded closer now. Akoki Mae wouldn't stop running from it no matter how exhausted she was. Right after home room had ended, she'd confessed to Himawari Kaori, her senpai, in the hallway. Kaori had been there for her since her first day. Caring for her like an elusive older sister, always sparing a moment out of her busy day to help her, and checking up on her whenever they happened to pass by one another. It was almost summer now, and ever though she had only been at the school for almost three months, a confusing love had brewed for that girl in her childish heart. She knew love like that was forbidden, yet she'd risked it all and confessed in the hallway... Even worse, she'd been so nervous and excited, she had nearly shouted it. But the look that had washed over Kaori's face when she had said that...a look of sickness and surprise... It was even a little pale... She couldn't bear to see it again!

Mae flew up another flight of steps, unconscious of where she was going. At the top step, the tip of her shoe hooked the edge and sent her sprawling out onto the tile floor. Her knees hit first, absorbing most of the impact as her fragile frame struck the floor next. She tried to muffle a squeak from escaping, but only ended up in biting her plush bottom lip a little too hard. Blood bubbled up from the fresh coral wound. Had Kaori heard that? She didn't want to waste time to find out. The little first year scrambled to her feet and darted down the hall despite her protesting, scraped knees. She skirted past a pair of chatting third years and up one more small flight of stairs, throwing open a heavy door.

'Ah, the roof...'

She was trapped! Mae didn't know where to go, so she stumbled over to the railing and leaned against it. Her chest heaved as she tried to recover from the frantic run. Even in the summer, the wind felt col on her face up here. It might have been because she was crying. She brushed the back of an arm over her watering eyes.

'I'm...so stupid!'

"Akoki-san!"

Her aching knees started to shake when she heard that voice behind her. She'd been so focused in her swirling, anxious thoughts that she hadn't heard the door open. If she turned back now...Kaori would be right behind her. Would she still be pale and look sick? Mae's chest tightened again at the thought.

A silence settled over the windy roof. It felt like the whole world had gone silent with them in the tension. Mae's light brown twintails fluttered in the breeze like tassels, occasionally brushing her teary face and catching a few stray tears. Her small hands squeezed the railing until they turned white at the straining knuckles.

"Akoki-san..." It seemed like an eternity before Kaori spoke.

Mae would have let her continue; she had no strength to protest. But when she heard a step advance in her direction, a switch flipped within her.