In the Likes of It

Chapter 2. 

Swallowing both of their surprise, the new teacher mustered up a smile. His eyes navigated through the classroom, and landed on no one other than Ruby. Almost as if directing his words at her, he let out a genuine smile.

“Morning class, I will be your new English teacher- Mr. Johnson. So, let us begin with a round of introductions- including your name, hobby, and favorite English book.”  Seeing the confusion on who should begin Mr. Johnson quickly added – “We’ll start alphabetically” he held out the class list and he began.

Name after name was called upon from the list Mr. Johnson held, and eventually, he reached Ruby Miller. With an irritated sigh, she stood up, and much to the teacher’s delight- she began to list all of which he asked for.

“My name is Ruby Miller, obviously. My hobby is, well- being the awesomely good looking captain of the basketball team and co-captain of the cheer leading squad that I am. As for my favorite book, I’m afraid no author has grasped my interest, they’re all lame-o’s that have barely half a clue on what the fu -“

“Okay, next on the list is Sheila O’Hare…” Mr. Johnson said, consequently cutting off the rest of Ruby’s sentence. He sent her a warning look that she ignored. Sheila smirked at her best friend, and stood up with an aura of confidence- much like Ruby had. Not to the teacher’s surprise, Sheila was also on the basketball team and captain of the cheerleading squad. However, Sheila actually had a favorite book.

The list then continued on to the very last person- Zachary Miller. At his name, Mr. Johnson couldn’t help but ask-

“Are you two siblings?” Zachary answered with a small smile; “No, she’s actually my first cousin- right Ruby-dooby-doo?”  Ruby sent him a smile, before mock glaring at him for his choice of nickname.

“True dat Zooeypoo!”

Majority of the class smiled at their usual banter. It was very common for the two to crack up the class with the way they spoke. Most of the teaches mistaken them for siblings, as the resemblance was very obvious- both of them had thick raven hair, with large doe-eyes in which they inherited from their grandmother.

“Dude, I’m a guy. Zooeypoo kills my manliness.” Zachary replied, puffing out his chest.

“That’s not the vibe I’m getting. Plus- when we were eight, you cried on Halloween since Aunt Mary wouldn’t let you wear a fairy costume!” Ruby let out a shrill scream as Zach lunged for her. He gripped her in a headlock, and in front of the entire English class- gave her a noogie.

Of course, Ruby was one of few that knew his weak spot. As he preceded to noogie her head, subsequently ruining her mane, she began to tickle his ribs. Zach let out his own shrill scream as he began to laugh like a little girl. One look at each other and the two burst out into a round of loud and hearty laughs.

“As amusing as this is- really, Zachary still didn’t introduce himself.” The two returned to their seats, sending each other funny faces. While Zachary introduced himself, Ruby kept crossing her eyes and puffing her cheeks- looking like a red blow-fish.  Much to her embarrassment, Mr. Johnson caught her.

“Miss Miller, please refrain from such antics.” He himself was trying to hold in his laughter. He knew she’d be trouble the minute he saw her the other night in the café. His curiosity was satisfied as soon as he saw her in class, and was able to put a name to the pretty face.

The bell then rang, and although Ruby was sad to go to Math- her worst subject, she packed her things and began to make her way to the door.  “Miller, please stay behind- I’d like a word.” She shrugged, and remained near the door. His presence nerved her, but she held it in.

“For the record, Miss, I wasn’t staring.”

Ruby let out a laugh, before opening the door and slamming it behind her.