Chapter 3

***This chapter has not been edited yet... 

It's been two days since I found out that Lucas was offered a spot on the team, and two days since I told Nathan that. Now, the whole is talking about some challenge that Nathan offered Lucas. Peyton, Brooke and I are walking through the halls at school when I see my twin laughing with a group of his friends in the hall.

"Come with me," I tell my friends. "I need to find out what all this gossip is about." We walk up to the guys, and Nathan greets Peyton with a sloppy kiss, and she pushes him away.

"Nathan, we're in school," she says.

"So what?" He replies, and I roll my eyes. I love my brother, but he needs to learn to respect his girlfriend, otherwise one day he'll wake up alone. "Hey Taylor, Brooke."

I decide to get straight to the point. "What's everyone talking about, between you and Lucas?"

My brother shrugs. "I offered him a deal. We're having a little one-on-one at that dumb court he's always playing at. I win, he doesn't join the team."

"And if he wins?" I ask.

"That's not going to happen. But if he wins, I quit the team."

"Yeah, dad will be real happy about that," I scoff at his idiocy. "Nathan, he'll kill you if you lose!"

Nathan looks offended at my doubt in him. "Do you honestly think that bastard can beat me? He's never played a real game in his life, I seriously doubt he has any talent. I can't believe you'd actually doubt me."

"Come on Nate, you know she didn't mean it like that," Peyton adds, defending me.

"Nathan, of course I know you can win," I assure him. "You're totally going to kick his ass."

"I know. And honestly, it'll be a little fun to annoy the old man. And hey, if I do lose, maybe he'll pay more attention to you," Nathan jokes, referring to my father.

I groan at the thought of my father scrutinizing me. "Well then you'd better win."

Brooke, Peyton, and I separate from the guys and head to our first class. We have most of our classes together, and also a few with Nathan, and unfortunately Lucas. It's funny how we all happen to have nearly the same schedule.

"Taylor, have you by any chance talked to Lucas since you picked your car up from him?" Brooke asks.

"No, and I sincerely hope I don't ever have to. I know that Nathan's confident that he'll win, but what if he doesn't?" I voice my concerns. "I mean, I've never seen Lucas play- for all we know, the kid could be great. If he joins the team, mine and Nathan's whole lives will change. Not to mention how much more bitter our father will be."

"Don't worry, Tay. Everything will be fine. No matter what happens, Brooke and I have you're back. Right Brooke?" Peyton says.

"Yeah, of course," Brooke agrees, but hesitates before continuing. "But I just have to say, I know that as your best friend, I'm sworn to be his enemy, but he is kind of hot. If he does by some chance win against Nathan and join the team, would you hate me if I had a one night stand with him?"

"Brooke!" Peyton and I both screech at the same time, but we're both trying to hold back our laughter. I swear, if Brooke wasn't my best friend, I'd surely think of her as a slut. She's hooked up with nearly every guy on the basketball team.

The thought of Lucas joining that group haunts me for the rest of the day. I've worked so hard to stay away from him all of these years, and this could all come crumbling down. And as much as things would change for me, I know that it would be ten times worse for Nathan. My brother puts on a face in front of all of his friends, but I know that a part of him is scared. He's scared that Lucas will take his spot and ruin his future, he's scared of losing his friends, he's scared of Lucas taking everything he's worked so hard to earn. It would kill me to see Nathan in that kind of pain.