Chapter 7

Over the next week, a lot happens. Nathan and the team continued to torture Lucas. They trash the River Court, kidnap him and throw him in a marsh, steal his clothes, and so much more. Lucas sticks it through, though. The antics stopped being as bad once Haley made a deal with Nathan.

Meanwhile, I grow closer with Jake and spend more time with Lucas and Haley. Haley gave in to tutoring Nathan, but secretly. She made me promise not to tell Lucas, and I don't plan on breaking that promise. Haley has been really nice to me and I don't want to give her a reason to act otherwise. Also, Lucas would probably try and get her to stop tutoring Nathan, which I don't want because his grades are finally improving. Haley may only be tutoring him so that he won't torture Lucas anymore, but either way, I'm happy.

Nathan still somehow doesn't know that Lucas and I are kind of friends now, which I don't understand. Although I haven't told my twin, I haven't gone out of my way to hide it from him either. Lucas and I talk in school and I hang out with him and Haley. He's just ignorant.

I also have managed to avoid my father for the last week, but unfortunately that streak of peace was bound to come to an end at some point. There's a party later tonight a try family's beach house, but first I came home from school to drop off my stuff and then I'm going to hang out with Jake.

Inside my house, I enter the kitchen to grab a water bottle but see my father standing at the counter flipping through some papers. Ignoring him, I pull a plastic water bottle out of the fridge and take a few sips, but as I'm recapping it my dad speaks. "Haven't seen you around the house much lately," he comments.

"I've been busy," I respond simply, not giving him any details. He doesn't deserve to know what I do in my free time. He lost that right.

"You can't still be mad at me?" He doesn't sound at all sorry or sympathetic. Sighing, he continues. "Taylor, I only have your best interest at heart."

Even if my father were telling the truth, it still wouldn't matter. Maybe he did think he was doing what was best for me, but his mind is twisted. In the end, he only cares about himself. "Dad, you're a selfish liar. You want what's best for you. You say that you only want what's best for me, but tell me why." I look him in the eye, waiting for an answer. I know that he won't be able to answer correctly because whatever he says will just be an excuse or a lie.

"Because you're my child," he tells me, probably thinking that I'm going to have some epiphany and realize that he really does care.

"So is Lucas," I shoot back. If the reason that he supposedly cares about me is because I'm his child, then he should love Lucas too. But he doesn't. I throw my backpack onto a chair and storm out of the house. It seems like I'm doing a lot of that lately. Jake and I planned to meet at a spot by the river that has a bunch of shops and get ice cream. I'm no longer in the mood to eat so I probably won't get any, but I still drive in that direction because Jake is probably already there waiting for me.

As predicted, I spot Jake waiting for me on a bench. Even though my mood is dampened due to the run in with my father, seeing Jake manages to bring a smile to my face. He just makes me feel so relaxed and happy. He looks to be off in his own world, he's staring intently at the river.

Looking up when I sit down next to him, he greets me but can immediately tell that something is on my mind. "What's up? Hey, are you okay."

I don't want to spend the day talking about my problems with Dan, so I try to shrug it off. Explaining to Jake that it was just a little run in with my father, I tell him that I'm fine now, which is true. I just want to enjoy the day with Jake. Neither of us end up getting any food, so we just walk along the river. The conversation is light hearted for a while until it trails off into a more serious topic.