Chapter 21

John Green once said "no matter how hard you kick, no matter how high you get, you can't go all the way around".

I however, was in denial about this. For a good week after the boy toy auction everything seemed to be fine. Jake and I were both aware of what had happened. After he apologized I still felt a bubble of stress and anger slowly simmering in my gut, waiting to explode. But I ignored it. I ignored it and pretended that everything was fine. If I kicked hard enough surely I could completely dodge this problem, surely I could go all the way around it.

But fate has an unfortunate way of punching you in the face and John Green has an unfortunate aptitude for wisdom. Because soon enough, all of my problems decided to plow full force right into the center of my life.

*****

"Taylor, let's get a move on!" I heard Brooke yelling from outside my front door.

I yelled a muffled response through my apartment as I rapidly brushed my teeth. After spitting the toothpaste out I didn't even have time to check my reflection again. I just grabbed my bag and rushed outside, locking the door behind me. There was something seriously wrong with my car and I hadn't had time to beg Keith to work on it yet. And I couldn't just bring it to any other mechanic for regular price because I was flat broke. Thankfully I just so happen to have an uncle with his own auto repair shop.

If only I'd known that my car breaking down was only the beginning of a domino chain of terrible events to occur in my life this week.

Until I get my car fixed though, Brooke was stuck being my chauffeur. And she was not too happy about it this particular morning. I didn't get out of work until eleven the night before and by the time I'd gotten home after my car nearly broke down-- I had to drive extremely slowly to avoid getting in an accident due to this-- it was already midnight and I hadn't even showered yet or done any of my homework. It was so late when I finally passed out that I didn't even wake until my alarm had been beeping obnoxiously for a half hour.

Brooke practically dragged me to her car once the door was shut behind me. She had never cared about being late to school before, but I wasn't going to question it now (even though it felt like she was about to pull my arm right out of its socket).

"You look like a mess," Brooke stated once she had peeled out of the lot.

"Thanks," I muttered back sarcastically. Flipping down the mirror visor in her car, I groaned at my appearance. I hadn't had time to put on any makeup and there were huge dark circles under both my eyes.

While keeping both of her eyes on the road as she drove, Brooke wordlessly reached back with one arm and scavenged in the backseat. A moment later she pulled up her makeup bag, which in this moment was gold to me.

"You, Brooke Penelope Davis, are a queen." I snatched the bag from her and tried my best to make myself look presentable during the car ride to school. I had just finished putting on mascara when she pulled into her parking spot. I shrugged slightly at my reflection in the tiny mirror. It wasn't perfect but it would have to do. Who did I have to impress anyway? I already have a boyfriend and no competition when it comes to him.

Oh, how wrong I was there.

"Oh yeah, I've been meaning to ask you," Brooke began. She waited until we were out of the car and walking towards the school to finish her thought. "Who was that girl at the Boy Toy auction? The one who got Jake? I've been wondering ever since then."