Chapter 2

As I entered the house a chill ran down my spine. The house felt like it was thirty degrees outside. I knew that this wasn't normal. It was the beginning of October. The temperature usually didn't go below  sixty degrees in the morning. The brown hardwood floor creaked and moaned as I made my way to the ancient sprial staircase.

When I got up to the top of  the staircase I took in my surrounding. The ugly pink wallpaper, with white  flowers on it ,was pealing away quite rapidly. My father said that I would get my grandmother's old room. As my grandparents got older they thought that it would be better to have their own bedrooms. It kinda freaked me out to be sleeping in my dead grandmother's room. What if she tried to grab me in the middle of the night? Nonsense, that couldn't happen, she was dead.

  I made a right down the hallway and then I took a left. When I saw the bathroom come into view I knew I was close. My grandmother's bedroom was adjacent to it. I entered the room and took in my surroundings. Nothing changed. Everything was in the exact same place that my grandfather left it. I walked to the closest and opened the door. All my grandmother's clothes were gone. At least my dad had the decently to donate her clothes to Goodwill. My dad had brought up my two black suitcases, and placed them by the side of my bed.

   It took me until about 6 o'clock to put all my stuff away. I put the  finishing touches on my room by placing a picture of Hannah and me, posing in front of a giant Christmas tree in Times Square,and placed it on my dresser next to a picture of my grandma and grandpa. I grabbed my  two suitcases and placed them in my closet. I turned around, about to leave, when something odd caught my eye. I saw the picture of Hannah and me, faced down on the floor. I picked it up and said,"How did you get on the floor?"
     Probably just my imagination, I thought to myself. I had just repositioned the picture, when I heard footsteps coming up right behind me. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up.
  " Boo!" Hannah yelled,right into my ear.
  I jumped. "Hannah, never do that again. You nearly gave me a heart attack!"
"Sorry Chelsea, I won't do it again. I promise."
" Thanks. I appreciate it."
  "Anyway, mom sent me up here  to tell you that the pizza arrived."
  "I'll be down in a minute." I told her.

   I arrived at the kitchen five minutes later. On  my way down I was carful not to fall down the stairs. I grabbed a paper plate and was about to get a slice of pizza,when the plate flew out of my hands, hitting my mom square in the face.
   "Chelsea, why did you throw your plate at me?" My mom asked.
    "I didn't." I replied.
   "Than who did?" My mom asked.
    "A ghost." I admitted.
     "That's ridiculous. Ghosts don't exist."
      " The house is haunted!" I screamed.
     "Chelsea, go to your room! I will not tolerate you being disrespectful to your mother!"
   I stormed out of the kitchen, stomped up the stairs, and slammed my bedroom door. "Why doesn't anyone believe me?" I cried to myself.

I cried myself to sleep that night. That night I had a very vivid dream. In my dream I saw my grandma and grandpa. They looked so real. My grandma was wearing a sparkly blue top, and  wearing sparkly blue glasses to match. My grandpa was wearing his favorite yellow shirt with pineapples on it. My grandparents smiled at me. "What are you doing here?" I asked.
    The smiles vanished from their faces.
" We came to warn you." They said in unison.
" About what?" I asked.
  " She's coming." My grandmother replied." Your grandfather and I can't hold her back  much more."
  "Who's she." I asked.
  "We can't tell you. The more we tell you about her, the more powerful she gets."
" Well than, can you tell me why you guys came to me instead of Mom?"
   "We came to you because you have a gift. You're the only one that can see us." My grandmother said.
  "Tell me more about this gift of mine."
  Neither one of them responded. Instead, they both just vanished into thin air.

I woke up in a sweat. Did I really just have that dream? And if I did who was she, and what did she want with my family?