Chapter 27

The snow is slightly coming down as I make my way up to Mr. Vander's desk. It is the end of the day, and I have to tell him about the exercism. He looks up from his desk when I am about an inch away.
"Chelsea, you came to ask me about something." It isn't a question.
"Yes. Come to my house tonight, seven sharp."
"Why?" Mr. Vander asks, looking confused.
"Well, my mom and I talked to a priest, and he said that you should be present when the exercism occurs."
"You were fast on getting a priest."
"Abigail, left me no choice. She told me to tell you that you would be her's again."
"You told Abigail about Carol?"
"I didn't tell Abigail about Carol. I just said that you didn't love her anymore."
"I was going to tell Abigail that myself."
"I'm sorry, but Abigail was strangling me last night and you were the first thing that popped into my mind."
"Are you okay? Did she hurt you badly?"
"My shoulders and neck hurt, but other than that I'm fine."
Mr. Vander's light green eyes turn sad. "I'm so sorry, Chelsea."
"Don't be sorry. It's not your fault."
"I'll be there tonight. After the night is over you won't feel pain anymore."
"Sounds like a plan," I reply, walking out of the classroom.

   When I get home from school, the house feels heavy. I feel like a ton of bricks have been laid down on my chest. The lights are flickering like crazy, and shards of ice have formed on all the windows. I know that it's winter, but is just not normal. The living room is freezing. I can see my breath.
   I walk slowly up the spiral staircase. I have the feeling that Abigail is waiting for me. Does she know that the priest is coming? Probably. Abigail may be a ghost, but she's not stupid. I head down the hallway towards my room. The door is shut. I carfully open it. I gasp. My room is completely trashed. I pick up the picture of Hannah and me. There is a big crack in the frame where my face is. I let out a cry. I touch the golden heart locket around my neck. When I let go, I feel Abigail's icy presence, and then I here her awful laugh.
  "Don't you just love what I did with the place?"
  "I hate you Abigail. Which reminds me, after tonight you will be be no more."
  "Like I really care if you love me. I heard that you found the one way to defeat me."
"Yes." I reply.
"I must go now, and prepare for the battle that will be occuring in a matter of hours."
   She disappears, her coldness going with her.

  The hours seem to fly by. I hear a knock on the door. I run to answer it. It's the priest and Mr. Vander. I open the door.
"Hello, Father," I greet him. "Hello, Mr. Vander.
They both smile, but I can tell that it's forced. There's nothing happy about tonight.
"Where's your parents?" The priest asks.
"They're in the living room, follow me."
They both follow me into the living room. Mom and Dad stand up to greet them.
  "Good afternoon Father, Mr. Vander." They reply. The priest and Mr. Vander nod their heads.
  "She's more powerful than I thought," The priest comments. "Let's begin in the place where she is most powerful."
"That would be my room."
I lead everyone upstairs, the priest clutching his Bible and Holy Water as we go. As we enter my disastrous room, Abigail's makes herself know by making the room the coldest it has ever been. The priest opens up the bottle of Holy Water, and makes the sign of the cross on our foreheads. He then says, "Lord, protect us all from the battle we're about to fight."
  Just as the words leave his mouth, Abigail appears.
"It's nice of you to finally show up Father, and my Mike too."
  There is no fear in Father's eyes. He opens up his Bible and starts reading,"By the power invested in me, I comand thy to leave in the name of Jesus Christ!"
  The priest then proceeds to fling Holy Water in every corner of my room. "No evil shall remain in this room!"
  Abigail screams and retreats down the hallway. We all run after her, down the stairs, and into the living room. She's definitely in here. Father continues reading from the Bible. "Holy Michael, the Archangel, defend us in battle. Protect us against the wickedness and snarles of the devil."
  All of a sudden, all the ornaments on the Christmas tree shatter, causing glass to go everywhere. We all just ignore it, and Father sprinkles Holy water in all directions. Like before, Abigail lets out a blood curdling scream, and retreats into the kitchen.

   When we arrive in the kitchen, Abigail is standing angrily near the counter closest to the knives.
"I comand you to---"
"I'm not leaving without Mike!"
Before anyone has time to react, a knife is being hurled at the speed of light right at Mr. Vander. I can't let it happen, so I jump in front of him, the knife hitting me almost right in the heart. I fall to the floor, blood gushing out of me like crazy.
  "C-Chelsea y-you s-saved me."
  I speak in a whisper. "F-finish m-my q-quest."
  My eyes go shut, and my heart beats one last time.

   This was a sad Chapter. I should have told you to get a box of tissues. I'm almost crying myself. What Chelsea did was truely courageous. Only true love can make you do what Chelsea did.