Chapter 2

It was a short journey to Newark airport; I had lived close to it due to travelling for other work commitments, however this was the first time I had ever been to Isla Nublar. Before Jurassic World had been constructed, I had done an aerial tour of Isla Sorna with my professor when I was doing my degree, and had been lucky enough to see some velociraptors from afar.

After a short flight, I stepped out of the plane and was immediately engulfed by the suffocating heat. People were scattered around the small Isla Nublar airport and I smiled gratefully as Jurassic World workers took care of my bags, but I was suddenly distracted when I saw that a huge blue helicopter was coming my way, with of course the InGen logo on the side.

"Am I...?" I asked a security guard nearby, dumbfounded.

"You sure are Miss Phillips!" he chuckled, grabbing my arm to escort me over to the helicopter as I was only met with Simon Masrani himself. 

"Miss Phillips, it's such a pleasure to meet you, I'm Simon Masrani, head of InGen." he shook my hand and gave me a large smile.

"I know who you are Mr Masrani, call me Rosie! It's such a pleasure to meet you and to be at Isla Nublar!" I gushed, not holding back my fangirling. Mr Masrani chuckled.

"Rosie, I have been told by your references you are a real credit. You know more about our dinosaurs than we do!" he laughed again, "we have all been so excited for your arrival."

"You didn't have to go to all this trouble." I told him, clutching onto my stomach as I realised we were now flying in the air, high above the beautiful Isla Nublar scenery.

"Don't be ridiculous, it was the least we could do for you coming on such short notice!" he replied.
He chatted idly about island life as we soared towards the park, and I honestly felt like all my dreams were coming true- I was finally here.

"Claire told me last minute to escort you to the main centre, she didn't want you getting lost." Simon said, taking my bags for me. I held my own handbag and walked in step with him. We were fully in the park now and I was surrounded by happy people, mostly leaving, however probably to the onsite hotels to return tomorrow. Exotic birds flew in the sky and I heard the distant roar of the dinosaurs, and it suddenly occurred to me that I was walking on the same island with creatures that were meant to be extinct millions of years ago; it was mind blowing.

As promised, Claire was waiting for me in the control room and she was so friendly that I instantly felt relieved and a little more at ease. After some more introductions and protocols we were ready to go.

"Okay, let's get you to where you're staying and then I'll give you a tour, starting with the raptor paddock, of course." Claire said with a smile and we climbed into her sleek car and sped off out of the main park and into the outskirts where the greenery was dense. I smiled in awe as I noticed we were approaching a small idyllic beach with a vast green space next to it. It was dotted with little one story homes and I was informed that it was where most of the staff lived if they didn't want to travel back to the mainland. I entered my assigned bungalow and it was basically done up with a couch, small TV, kitchen area and table and a little bedroom and bathroom off the main room. Although modest, it was clean, air conditioned and had a nice decking outside and there was not the slightest hint of damp or peeling paint like my old apartment.

"I know it's nothing fancy, but you can do it up however you like." Claire said nervously, looking a little out of place in her smart suit and high heels.

"Seriously Claire, compared to my last place, this is like a palace." I laughed and went to the bathroom to freshen up before we went for the tour. I changed into some denim shorts and a blouse that sat off the shoulders and I tied my hair into a high, wavy ponytail to keep it off my face in the intense heat of the early evening.