Chapter 8

I woke up the next morning feeling like shit. The last thing I wanted to do was go to work and face Owen, but I knew that being a coward would get me nowhere. I got out of bed early and put on running shorts and a sports bra and went for a run, running faster than usual to let out some anger and frustration. I walked back to my bungalow slowly, trying to get my breath back, and I saw Owen sitting on the steps of his bungalow. I wasn't going to say anything, but he spoke to me, calling me over.

"Hey." he said as I smiled weakly.

"Hi." I replied. I felt like it was so awkward after last night so I decided to lighten the mood, "so who was the unlucky lady last night?" I teased him with a forced grin.

"Hey! A lady to go out with Owen Grady is very lucky I'll have you know!" he retorted, standing up to my level, "I'm going to get ready, but dinner later?" he said, making me smile.

"Unless you get a better offer again, yes!" I said semi-jokingly.

"Don't make me tickle you like last time! Anyway, nice shorts." Owen said with a smirk, causing me to smirk.

"Shut up, its Central America, it's hot." I said.

"Yeah that's what I thought." he muttered under his breath and I thought nothing of it and ran back to my bungalow to get ready for the day.

"Hey Claire!" I called over to Claire. She had her tray filled with a bowl of oatmeal and I was already sitting at our usual table with my granola.

"Hey Rosie." she said half-heartedly. I frowned.

"Is everything okay?" I asked as she sat down. She was wearing a crisp white blouse and lilac skirt and nude heels- she always looked so put together.

"I had a disaster of a date last night!" she groaned, rubbing her forehead with the palm of her hand.

"Oh god! What was he like?" I asked, laughing. She sighed, eating her oatmeal.

"He was obnoxious, unhygienic and the worst part of all it was-" she looked up, paused and groaned, "he's just walked in." I spun around in my chair and tried to discretely see who she was talking about, but my eyes widened when I saw that she was looking towards Owen.

"You went on a date with Owen?!" I hissed, biting my lip.

"Please don't remind me." she sighed, shielding her face from him. I tried to dig for details conspicuously and I was guiltily delighted that the date was a complete disaster. It was naive to ignore the fact that I had fallen for him, I knew I just had to accept it.

"Dinner is served madam." Owen said, giving me my food in the usual container as we sat on our usual spot on the grass outside our bungalows.

"Why thanks." I said, a little distracted. I couldn't understand why Owen wouldn't tell me about the date, instead I found it all out from Claire.

"Who put a stick up your ass?" he commented, his mouth full of pasta.

"Nobody. So, who did you go out with last night?" I asked, raising my eyebrows suggestively. He went bright red.

"Nobody." he repeated from me. I paused as I wondered how to approach it.

"Owen, Claire told me everything, you don't have to be embarrassed." I laughed.

"I'm not embarrassed!" he protested, "just... who prints out an itinerary for a night out?"

"Who wears board shorts on a date?!"

"What kind of diet doesn't allow tequila?"

"All of them actually- wait, no. I love tequila." I began defending Claire before realising it was useless.

"Whatever. It's never happening again." he said before standing up.

"Where are you going?" I asked him.

"What do you think? It's a Friday night, we both love tequila, so hell yeah I'm getting the tequila." he pulled  a 'duh' face at me. Oh God.

Several drinks later, we were both pretty drunk. The sky had darkened to a deep velvet blue and there were bright stars glistening in the midst. We were laying side by side on the grass looking upwards.

"Do you think there is such a thing as a good date?" Owen sighed. I tilted my face to the side.

"Nope." I said, popping the p, "all the dates I've gone on have been awful and I wouldn't want to relive any of them." Owen made a noise that sounded like an agreement.

"Most of mine have been pretty shitty too." He admitted, "Last night... last night I should have just gone with you." My heart still leapt despite my drunken state and I giggled.

"I'm not a big fan of dates." I reiterated.

"Neither am I, that's why it would have worked." He said and he was probably right.

"I see the sense, but you never would have asked me, even though I probably would have wanted to." I said, drinking always made me braver. Owen turned towards me.

"I wanted to ask you." He admitted, "I just don't know why I didn't... I did want to go with you not her." but no matter how many times he said it, he still did, he still did go with her. I opened my mouth to speak but suddenly Owens lips came crashing onto mine and I was taken so completely by surprise I gasped and his tongue slid skilfully into my mouth. I smirked and wrapped my hands round his neck and pulled him closer so he was lying on top of me. He continued the assault on my lips whilst his hands grabbed my waist and moved slowly up under my light blouse.

"Fuck." I moaned as Owen kissed down my neck and I fisted my fingers into his hair.

"I'm going to hell." He moaned into my neck.

"I'll see you there." I gasped, before tugging on his hair to bring his lips back up to mine.