Chapter 3

Hamlet was furious.

"Horatio, you fopdoodle! Why would you do that!" Hamlet had pulled away and was now yelling at Horatio. "The king will have us banished now. I'm supposed to marry Ophelia! Not you! Not a boy! Oh... No..." Hamlet started breathing faster as he walked back and forth. He continued to curse and yell at Horatio.

"Hamlet, CALM DOWN!" Horatio yelled back. Hamlet stopped insulting the other boy and stared at him. Then he broke down and collapsed to his knees, turning into a crying mess.

Horatio knelt beside him and pulled him in to an embrace, Hamlet cried into Horatio's shoulder.

"It's okay Hamlet"

"What are we going to do?! Claudius will kill me if he finds out that we........kissed!"

Horatio, took a deep breath. "Hamlet. He doesn't need to find out. If we hurry, we can stop Ophelia!"

Horatio didn't say everything he was thinking, though. He left one part out. He knew they wouldn't be banished. They would both be killed.

Hamlet was thinking the same thing, but he pushed that part out of his mind and focused on the task at hand.

Horatio helped him up, caressing his cheek and wiping away his tears.

"Come on, let's go," he said as gently as he could, considering the circumstances, "We have to catch up to her. Are you ready?"

Hamlet nodded and shakily grabbed Horatio's hand. He pulled him along and they began sprinting towards the fading form of Ophelia, who was no doubt going to tell everyone what she just witnessed.

Ophelia turned and saw the two of them running after her, so she picked up speed and dashed to the doors of the castle, whipped them open, entering and locking them.

Hamlet and Horatio tried to open the door by thrusting their body weight against it. But it wouldn't budge. They tried again and again, pounding on the door. Through the noise of their pounding and hitting they could hear Ophelia singing deranged tunes from behind the other side. "Hamlet you never loved me... La di da a," Ophelia cried.

Hamlet looked over to Horatio, his blue eyes sparkling and his black hair blowing in the wind. He looked pained, but also slightly happy. Horatio wondered-- is he maybe smiling a little bit because of me? But he shoved that thought to the the back of his mind. They both knew that if they didn't succeed they would be killed, for their terrible deed. They had betrayed what their culture believed. Horatio hit the door harder-- with all of his strength. He did it for Hamlet. For these unfair rules. For himself. He could feel hamlet hitting harder too. They could do this. Just then they heard a click. Hamlet smiled at Horatio and whispered, "We did it".

They darted into the castle. They swung their heads back and forth, looking for Ophelia.

She was nowhere to be seen.

Horatio started to panick, mumbling to himself about how he was going to die before he got to meet the Lockness monster or something like that. Hamlet couldn't let anything happen to Horatio. He had to find Ophelia.

Somewhere in the distance he heard very quiet singing. It had to be her! He bolted over to where the noise was coming from, it was behind a closet door.

"Ophelia..." Hamlet called out softly.

"Hamlet... You never loved me..." She giggled hysterically.

"No, love, I do love you so much... So very much..."

"Why were you kissing Horatio then? Why were you kissing a boy?" She chimed.

"I swear, that's not what it was."

"That's exactly what it was."

"No, Ophelia, you don't understand..." Hamlet was frantically trying to come up with a lie, "All my life I've thought Horatio was one of those nasty homosexuals," he said the word with spite in his voice, "I wanted to help fix him... but I needed proof. Now I have it. We can get Horatio the help he needs and then we can be married and live happily ever after."

While Hamlet was saying all those lies. Horatio overheard. He believed what Hamlet was saying, and silently ran off crying.

"Hamlet..." Ophelia continued to sing, "I don't believe you... I'm going to go tell the king..."

"No! You can't!"

She opened the door and looked at Hamlet, she had a wicked smile on her face, "Then promise me, you'll never speak to Horatio ever again and you'll never kiss another man and... You'll marry me."

"Ophelia, I can't..." Hamlet started.

She pushed the door open and got out, "Okay, I guess I'm on my way to tell the king about your unholy relationship."

"No! No. You can't. You can't because... I accept your offer... I'll marry you..."

Ophelia dragged off Hamlet, who played along for the time being, to the King and Queen, despite the fact that it was the middle of the night. Her news was quite different that it would have been been merely a few minutes prior.

Meanwhile, Horatio ran, sobbing. He just ran and ran, without pay attention what-so-ever to where he was. He kept running until he tripped over a tree root in the forest, miles away from the castle. He made no effort to get up. He just lay there crying.

He though... well, he thought a lot of things. He thought Hamlet loved him. He thought everything would turn out okay. He thought they would be together, happily, in secrecy.

But Hamlets words kept ringing in his brain.

"Nasty homosexual"

He wanted to die.