Chapter 7

Horatio's mental and physical state was slightly improved by the time Hamlet got a second chance to see him, be it a week later.

Ophelia had grown very possessive over Hamlet since the whole incident between him and Horatio, and wouldn't let him leave her sight.

Evidently Hamlet was very relieved when Ophelia went to France with her brother for a while. She wasn't, and pleaded to her dad for Hamlet to come, but Polonius, who disagreed with the relationship, would have none of that.

Hamlet ran down the hallways of the castle the day she left faster then he'd ever run before. He felt horrible that he hadn't been able to get away from Ophelia long enough to see Horatio, and now that would be the first thing he'd do.

He entered the clinic and a few of the nurses looked at him with a look of pity. He hated that.

"Where's Horatio?" He puffed, out of breath from running so far.

"He's in the room at the back on the right," one of the nurses volunteered.

"Thank you," Hamlet approached the room, suddenly feeling nervous for what awaited him on the other side of the door.

His hand trembled slightly as he reached for the doorknob. Turning it and opening the door, he set his nerves aside and lunged into the room as soon as he saw Horatio lying in bed, closing the door behind him.

Hamlet sat on the edge of Horatio's bed gently as not to disturb him, but Horatio was already awake.

A grin spread across Horatio's face which quickly turned into a reproachful look.

"Why are you here?" Horatio questioned.

"To-to see you," Hamlet choked out, "Ophelia wouldn't let me go, but now she's in France and I promise I won't leave you again."

This seemed to calm Horatio, and he leaned up from the pillow he was propped up on and kissed Hamlet on the cheek.

Hamlet smiled a huge smile and wrapped Horatio in a hug, nearly lifting him off the bed.

"I love you," he whispered into Horatio's ear. There was nothing fake about saying this to Horatio, as there was when he was talking to Ophelia.

"I love you too Hamlet," Horatio replied.

Hamlets grin widened and he placed another content kiss on Horatio's cheek.

"Hamlet...I missed you..."

Hamlet stroked Horatio's cheek.

"It's okay...I'm here now"

Hamlet slid into the bed beside Horatio and wrapped his arms around his waist.

"You're going to get through this Horatio, and I'll be here with you the whole time."

"But Ophelia..."

"Don't worry about her, I don't love her! I love you!"

Horatio wrapped his arms around Hamlet's neck and placed a passionate kiss on his lips.

It continued on like this for the duration of the two weeks Ophelia was gone. Hamlet would visit Horatio as often as he could without drawing suspicion. They both immensely looked forward to these moments. Horatio's health greatly improved, though he still couldn't leave the clinic. On the day before Ophelia returned, Hamlet visited Horatio one last time.

They sat in silence, neither willing to admit they probably wouldn't see each for awhile. Then Horatio spoke up.

"You know, I never thought that I would get to be with the person I loved even if it was just for a short time..". Hamlet held Horatio's hand, their fingers intertwined.

Hamlet spoke delicately, "I'll always be with you-- to the grave. My love will never falter for you Horatio. Love is like a candle-- it can take time to be set alight, but once a blaze it will stay illuminated until the wax is all but gone."

A tear slowly fell down Hamlets cheek and onto their clasped hands. Horatio cleaned the tear from hamlets face. Hamlet blushed, many shades of  light pink swept across his porcelain skin. He looked down at Horatio who grinned happily.

Their eyes never left each other-- not for one moment of the time they had together. They knew their moment of happiness would end. But they would love each other. Through all of their hardships, and Hamlets soon to be marriage. They just gazed into each other's blue and green eyes, hoping this moment would never end. Then Horatio pulled Hamlet closer kissing him softly.