Chapter 9

The days flew by and soon, it would be Hamlet and Ophelia's wedding. Everyday, Hamlet found it easier and easier to pretend he loved Ophelia. Maybe, he thought, just maybe he did love her a bit. He knew he would never love her as much as Horatio. But Horatio didn't love him. And, the last thing Horatio had said to him, he had said to marry he. So, Hamlet decided, he would.

The wedding day came, and the air was full of happiness and excitement. Everyone was delighted about the Prince's marriage. Even Polonius had come to terms with it.

Horatio sat, alone, shortly before the ceremony. He cried, not out of happiness for his friend, but out of regret. He wished he had never told Hamlet to leave, and that he didn't love him. Now, Hamlet would be married to a girl he loved dearly, and there would be no chance of anything between them ever again....... Unless...............

He heard the trumpets announcing that the ceremony was about to begin, so he wiped away his tears and joined the crowd.

Horatio sat near the back, not wanting Hamlet to see him. Even though he was at the wedding, he couldn't bring himself to listen to their vows. It would be too painful.

"Duchess Ophelia, wilt thou have this man to thy wedded husband, to live together according to God's law in the holy estate of matrimony? Wilt thou love him, comfort him, honour and keep him, in sickness and in health; and, forsaking all other, keep thee only unto him, so long as ye both shall live?"

"I do" she beamed

"Prince Hamlet, wilt thou have this woman to thy wedded wife, to live together according to God's law in the holy estate of matrimony? Wilt thou love her, comfort her, honour and keep her, in sickness and in health; and, forsaking all other, keep thee only unto her, so long as ye both shall live?"

"I'm sorry...." said the Prince, "I can't."

"I object!" shouted a man's voice from farther back. "Wait, what?" it continued.

The crowd was shocked, they whispered to each other nervously, glancing back and forth between Hamlet and Horatio. They were both equally as stunned that this had actually happened. The Reverend stuttered, "Your honor, w-w-why?"

Ophelia started crying, her face turned red. Hamlet replied,"I cannot love her the way that she wants, I will never be the way she wants me to."

Hamlet briefly pondered about what he had just said, he knew that he didn't say the whole truth, he couldn't. He couldn't say he despised Ophelia, or that he cherished Horatio. This was the right decision to make. He was preparing a future for them both. Ophelia was mentally breaking down, she fell to her knees and started singing about how she would die. She was a complete mess.

By now the court was just horrified, not to mention Claudius and Gertrude that were fuming. Hamlet ran out of the church signaling to Horatio to come too. They embraced each other as they ran in the gorgeous, sunny weather.

Hamlet and Horatio ran into the forest to escape the questioning crowd that followed them. After a while they stopped, Horatio turned to his beautiful prince
"Why did you-" He was interrupted by Hamlet, who passionately kissed him on the lips.

He returned the kiss and wrapped his arms around Hamlets neck, jumping and wrapping his legs around his waist.

They both pulled away for a moment to catch their breath before immediately continuing.

They pulled away again.

"Won't someone be looking for us?" asked Horatio.

"Don't worry about that, because no matter what they do or think, they will never change the fact that I am madly in love with you."

He slowly sat down against a tree, Horatio's legs still around him.

"I love you" he muttered.

"I love you too" Horatio replied.