War and Goodbyes

"War! We're at war with England! We're at war with the Allies!"

Liesel rushed out of the door. There were boys riding their bikes waving newspapers in the air. She saw that they read about the news of war.

All of a sudden Friedhelm appeared out of nowhere. "I'm assuming you heard the news?", he said.

"Yes."

Friedhelm had a solemn look on his face. "What's wrong?"Liesel asked.

"It's just that. War will change us. Will change Germany. The soldiers and people."

"I wouldn't be surprised if that happened. Are you going to enlist?"

Friedhelm was quiet. He just grabbed Liesel's hand and walked with her down the street. They didn't know where they were going. They just walked.

--------

2 years later

--------

"Goodbye mother. Goodbye father", Liesel said saying goodbye to her parents for the war.

"We will miss you", her mother said holding back tears.

"Make us and the Fatherland proud", her father added.

"I will", Liesel said. She hugged her parents and left to meet her friends at the bar that Greta worked at.

--------

"Make sure to clean up when you are done", Greta's boss said.

"Of course", she replied.

Liesel was looking in through the window of the bar. She was going to go to the front and protect the German army as much as possible on the Eastern Front. Though she wouldn't kill unless she had to. She was more like a spy and messenger to say the least. Her talent of speaking fluent German, Russian, and English came to good use in this case. If she was caught she could pretend she was from the country that captured her and hopefully be let go.

After the owner of the bar left and Greta started cleaning Liesel opened the door as silently as she could. She snuck up on Greta.

"Ah! Liesel!"Greta said laughing. Liesel laughed with her. "Wait hide behind the counter in the corner."

"Why?"

"We'll surprise Friedhelm."

"Alright."

Liesel went behind the counter and hid in the corner. She watched the others from over the counter. Viktor came in next. As Liesel was expecting he kissed Greta. She heard Greta telling Viktor her plan. Then Charlotte came in with her nurse's gear. She was going to become a nurse behind the frontline for the Germans on the Eastern Front. Once again Greta told her their idea. They looked at Liesel who was peeking over the counter still in a crouched position. She quickly smiled and waved. 

The door opened and Viktor, Greta, and Charlotte turned abruptly. Liesel ducked under the counter. Friedhelm and Wilhelm walked in together decked out in their Wehrmacht uniforms. Wilhelm wore a Lieutenant's uniform and Friedhelm wore a regular soldier's. "Hello everyone", Wilhelm said smiling. 

"Well. Would you all like a drink?"Greta said.

"What about Liesel. She's not here yet", Friedhelm said worriedly.

"She's not coming. To busy getting ready for her missions I guess", Greta replied solemnly.

"Oh", Friedhelm replied sadly. Liesel was torn up hearing him like that. Friedhelm turned around and started talking to his brother. Liesel took this as her chance. Quietly she snuck out from behind the counter and got up from a crouch when she was right behind Friedhelm. Wilhelm saw her, but she put her finger to her lips and he understood. He continued talking to Friedhelm like he saw nothing. 

Liesel put her hands up and covered Friedhelm's eyes. "Guess who", she said.

Friedhelm grabbed her hands and spun around. He left Liesel's hands behind his neck and made sure they were face to face. "The prettiest girl in all of Europe", he replied. At that moment he locked his lips with hers. She was caught off guard, but she kissed back passionately. 

When they broke apart everyone clapped. Greta said,"Well now that we are all here. Would you all like a drink?"

"Of course!"everyone replied.

--------

They all went to the backroom with their drinks. It was like a lounge with tables, couches, chairs, and other objects like bookshelves adorned with books. Greta and Viktor sat on the couch with Viktor's arm around Greta. Greta had put on swing music. Friedhelm stole Charlotte's nurse cap and ran off with it. Liesel being sparked by this nabbed Wilhelm's officer's hat and put it on her head running away from him. "Hey!" he said.

Friedhelm and Liesel ran towards each other and started acting like Wilhelm and Charlotte. "Oh Charly. You are the most beautiful girl I have met. Next to Liesel of course", Liesel said mocking Wilhelm's voice.

"And you are the most handsome next to Friedhelm", Friedhelm said doing the same mocking voice for Charlotte.

Wilhelm grabbed his hat from Liesel's head and pulled her slightly chuckling. "Hey!", Liesel exclaimed.

Friedhelm threw Charlotte her nurse's cap and she caught it laughing. Then Greta and Viktor said they should take a picture of the six friends. Viktor set up his camera and quickly joined the group in the photo when they were ready. Each of the friends got a copy of the photo.

After all the excitement they sat on the couch. Friedhelm put his arm around Liesel as they sat. They talked and Liesel looked at the picture of the six friends in her lap.

---------

After a while Friedhelm dances with Charlotte. Viktor does the same with Greta. And Wilhelm danced with Liesel to an upbeat swing song. They danced in fast circles laughing as they moved.

Suddenly a German officer walks in. He had slicked back blonde hair and piercing blue eyes. Everyone stopped and said in unison "Heil Hitler!" He walks over to the Phonograph and grabbed the record. "Swing?"he asked.

Greta answered him,"I thought it would be good music. You see my friends and I are having a party to remember memories as we go our separate ways for the war."

"I would be careful if were you about playing this music. You will report to my office tomorrow morning."

"Yes sir."

"Heil Hitler!"he said leaving.

"Heil Hitler!"

After the officer left everyone looked at Greta. "Well",she said. "Let's continue don't you think." Everyone loosened up after that.

---------

They were in the bar for a long time. Now it was time for them to go their separate ways for the war. "You will make a great nurse Charly and you Liesel will make a great spy and protector", Greta said hugging them. Liesel turned to Wilhelm and hugged him,"You will be a great Lieutenant." 

"I hope I will."

Liesel then turned to Friedhelm and hugged and kissed him. "Please come home. I pray that you come home and I will see you again."

"I do as well Liesel." They kissed each other one last time and everyone left to go to their separate ways.