Alone

Liesel had left Berlin with a heavy heart. She left her friends and family a week ago. Now she was on her way to Russia. She had to decide which country of the Allied Powers was a greater threat. The Soviet Union had the largest military and if she could get information and somehow decrease their numbers that would benefit the Third Reich the most. 

Sitting under a tree she had her gun lying next to her and she was holding the picture of her and her friends remembering their last day together before they went to their own places for the war. Liesel heard vehicles coming her direction on a road nearby. Immediately she put the picture away and grabbed her gun. Silently she loaded it it and aimed the weapon towards the road. To her relief it was just German vehicles holding officers heading to the front lines. 

She realized she relaxed to soon though. The officer that seemed to be the highest rank ordered the parade to stop. He pointed his finger in the direction of Liesel and three soldiers started walking in her direction. As quickly as she could she put the safety lock on her gun and slung it over her shoulder. She tried to get as far back in the woods as could compared to the soldiers.

Suddenly she hit something. It didn't seem like a tree. It was to soft. Slowly she looked around and saw a man. He had a British uniform on, but as he silently spoke he had a German accent. "Shhhh. I'm here to help. Keep going that way and I will stall the Germans while you go away."

"Who are you?"

"That isn't important. If we happen to come across each other again. Then I will tell you. Now go."

Liesel obeyed and quickly and silently jogged farther into the woods. As soon as she was far enough away she sprinted. She heard voices in German in the direction she came from. She hid in some bushes and listened.

"Who are what are you doing here?", one of the soldiers asked the man that helped Liesel.

"I am Schneider."

"Where are going? What is your purpose for being the woods?"

"I am on my way to join my division in the Wehrmacht." 

"I see. Why are you not with your division?"the officer walked over.

"I was stationed in Berlin until they added my to the company of Lieutenant Winter."

Winter?,Liesel thought. Wilhelm's division?

"Well if you are heading towards the Eastern Front. Then we could take there. It would be quicker than walking."

"Yes. Thank you."

Schneider got in the military vehicle with the German officer that seemed to be either a Colonel or a General.

Liesel left to go towards Russia. She wasn't sure if she wanted to encounter Soviet soldiers to get information or avoid them. Anything could happen to her if they found out the truth about her. She pushed those thoughts out of her mind.

"Now. Time for Russia", she whispered to herself.