Chapter 7

AN:
I UPDATED!!! YAY!!! *feels extremely proud*

Richard John Grayson. The boy's full name. A name that both Bruce Wayne and Batman had spent hours trying to discover. A name that had been almost completely wiped off of all intelligence networks and erased from the minds of anyone who had once came in contact with it. A name that had haunted Bruce for years, ever since he had witnessed the tragic accident that had brought about the deaths of Dick's parents.

As Bruce had searched deeper into the incident, he was horrified to find that the entire circus had been massacred, and that all the police officers who had worked on the case of the missing boy had mysteriously disappeared.

The case files about the accident and about Dick going missing had been destroyed in a fire that had 'randomly' occurred, destroying an entire building and killing multiple people. All video footage of the Flying Graysons had been deleted, the people who had videoed it dying of mysterious illnesses.

Any mention of the once famous Flying Graysons immediately led to the person disappearing, never to be seen again. Bruce had tried asking around as Batman, but either people had no knowledge of the incidents, or they were too frightened to say anything, so frightened that even Batman could not scare them into divulging information.

All in all, death and mystery surrounded the boy. Yet strangely, he found himself attracted to him. The urge to protect him and keep him safe was unnervingly strong. Was this what being a parent felt like? Bruce did not know, and he wasn't sure if he wanted to find out. 

However, he couldn't help being concerned when, after three weeks of consciousness, Dick had yet to make any progress in his recovery. Although he was speaking more frequently, he was unable to walk more than a few steps without collapsing, and his memory was still completely gone. What was even more concerning was his lack of interest in food. Surely a boy his age should be consuming more than a few mouthfuls a day. It just was not healthy.

Bruce sighed as he walked up the stairs and over to Dick's room. He knocked on the door before opening it and entering the child's room. "Hey Dickie. How are you feeling this morning?" Bruce asked, sitting down on the edge of the bed.

Dick looked at him, coughing softly."I'm fine. This room is boring though."

Bruce's brow furrowed, and he leaned over, feeling the boy's forehead. He sighed in relief. The boy wasn't sick. "So, I was thinking, would you like to come downstairs today?"

Dick looked at him hopefully. "Could I?" He was so bored from being cooped up in bed for weeks. Sure, the first week he had slept for the majority of the time, but after three weeks, he was beginning to grow antsy.

Bruce nodded, smiling and gently wrapping his arms around the boy, picking him up. "Of course. Just try not to do anything too stressful. You are still recovering."

Dick sighed, annoyed that he couldn't walk on his own. "That is so not whelming. It's been three whole weeks! I should be able to do things by now!"

"Whelming?" Bruce asked, chuckling softly at the child's antics.

"Yes. Whelming. There's overwhelmed and underwhelmed, so why not whelmed?" Dick complained. "The English language makes no sense." He said, huffing slightly.

"Well... that's an interesting observation." Bruce said, amusement obvious in his voice.

Dick narrowed his blue eyes at him. "This is a very serious matter."

"Oh, of course it is." Bruce said, hastily nodding and biting back a laugh. He walked down the stairs and carefully placed Dick on a couch in the living room, tucking a blanket around him so that he stayed warm and propping him up with several pillows.

Alfred entered the room and smiled at the sight of Bruce hovering over the child. "Good morning, Master Dick." He said affectionately, having warmed up to the child greatly after he woke up.

"Morning Alfie!" Dick chirped happily, smiling at the butler.

"Would the young master like a cookie?" asked Alfred, placing a tray on a table beside the couch.

Dick eyed them but shook his head. "No thankyou Alfred. I'm not hungry." Bruce and Alfred exchanged worried glances. If the boy didn't start eating soon, his growth would be permanently stunted, if it wasn't already.

"Are you sure?" Bruce asked, picking up a cookie and taking a bite. "They're really good..."

Dick shook his head again. "Nah. I'm good."

"Please, Master Dick? If you don't eat something then you will never grow strong and healthy like all the other children your age." Alfred said pleadingly.

Dick sighed. "Maybe later..."

"Well, alright then..." Bruce said, not wanting to push the topic. After all, he had only just started to get to know the child. He didn't want Dick to feel uncomfortable or pressured. "I have to go to work now, but Alfred will be here if you need anything, okay?"

"Alright." Dick said, nodding. "I'll be fine."

Bruce smiled at him, looking him over one last time. "Great. Okay. See you later then." He left, and Dick sighed softly. If he had anything to complain about staying with Bruce, it was that he was almost always gone. Sure, he was grateful that Bruce had taken care of him after his accident, or that was what Bruce had told him anyway, but it would be nice if he tried to spend a little more time with him.

"Just call me if you need anything, Master Dick." Alfred said, leaving the room to go do his other duties.

Dick closed his eyes, leaning back against the pillows. He was already tired, and he drifted off to sleep. He was still asleep when Bruce came back, quietly coming in, picking him up and carrying him to his room. Bruce tucked him in and gently brushed the hair away from his forehead.

"Sleep well, Dickie." He whispered, leaning down and placing a soft kiss on the sleeping child's forehead before quietly exiting the room and closing the door. Three weeks and the boy was already melting the heart of the Batman.

AN:
Awe!! Daddybats!! YAY!! XDD

I would like to thank all of you wonderful readers for... well... reading. XD
Unbreakable has reached 10k views, something that I never would have dreamed of happening.
Honestly, I don't even know why people are reading this, but anyway, thankyou guys so, so, so much for all of your reads, votes, and comments. It really means a lot to me.

Until next time, my lovely readers!