8

"My name's James," he finally managed to say after his eyes reverted to normality. 

"I think you mean loser," I said bluntly. 

He stared at me with a straight face to show how much we wasn't amused by my sarcasm. I cracked a smile at him in return and he shook his head chuckling. 

"You know, I let you win," he rolled his eyes. 

And there's the big ego I'm so used to seeing and hearing. The whole "I went easy on you" excuse even though we all know the girl actually won. What's so bad about admitting it?

"Oh are you saying you went easy on me because I'm a girl?" I said angrily.

He threw his hands up defensively. "That's not what I'm saying," he said quickly.

I started laughing and started to gather my things. 

"You're leaving already?" 

"Well, I can't exactly stay here the whole day. I've been here for nearly 2 hours with you now."

"What's the problem with that?" he said.

The bell chimed and an older man walked in. He glanced at us and walked to the counter. 

"One moment please," he said to me before quickly getting up and going to take his order.

I watched him as he started making the man's drink. His jaw would tense occasionally and his brows were furrowed with focus. I watched as he finished off the drink with some whipped cream and smoothly slid the drink over the counter. 

"Here you go sir," he smiled at the man kindly. 

He glanced at me and I immediately snapped my attention to my phone. I felt his presence as he sat down and I continued to act as if I were completely indulged in my phone.

"You know, I think whatever you're looking at would look even better-" he said and took my phone from my hand to rotate it to be right-side up, "if your phone wasn't upside down," he finished and sat back in his chair smirking. 

My face slowly heated up and I could feel the red in my face growing from embarrassment. 

"I did that on purpose," I rolled my eyes and leaned back in my chair casually. 

"I'm sure," he laughed. 

I glanced up from the screen for a minute and saw him staring at me again like when I first arrived. 

"You're doing it again," I pointed out.

"What?"

"Staring at me," I frowned. Subconsciously, I grabbed a napkin and wiped around my mouth to make sure there was no leftover muffin. 

"Does my staring make you uncomfortable?" he said and rested his chin in his hands on the table.

"Very much so," I leaned as far back into my chair as I could. 

"I'm just appreciating what the world has to offer," he said.

I was caught off guard by his words and stuck my phone into my bag. 

"I think you may be looking in the wrong direction because what the world has to offer is out there," I said and pointed out the window. 

He glanced outside for a minute before returning his attention to me. "I like this view better," he smiled. 

"You're very straight forward about flirting aren't you?" I tried to change the subject so my face could cool down. 

"Told you I'm feeling outgoing today," he laughed.