Chapter 2

Harper's POV

As I walked through the doors of the Chicago O'Hare International Airport to the outside an incredible heat cloud enveloped me and I had trouble with my suitcases to get a taxi.
Since it was the beginning of August, I knew it would be warm, bur I did not expected such heat.
The whole taxi ride over I could not turn my eyes away from the window. Chicago with all the skycrapers and all the parks could not be missed. Arriving at my hotel I put on a pair of shorts and a T-Shirt. I unpacked my things and decided to go on the streets and to see the city, since it was only twelve o'clock and I had only today and tomorrow, before I started on Monday with my work.
I was at the Auditorium Building, one of the buildings, which was built in 1889 and the Tribune Tower, one of the first high-rises near the Chicago River. In the afternoon I went to the Millenium Park, the most visited park in Chicago. Slowly the streets were full of tourists and I went to Michigan Avenue, a large shopping street. After a few hours it was getting dark and I had to go to bed earlier, because I had a big jetlag. Around 7 pm I was in my hotel room. When I got ready for bed, I wrote my parents and friends that I arrived well and then went to bed.
I thought about the day and what I had already experienced today. Since the first moment I felt like home here. The people are so nice and cheerful and offer assistance, when they realize that you do not come from here or you are not familiar here as well.
I think that the peoples mood here is so good because of the good weather, because in England it rains constantly and so there is fast a bad mood in the air. Of course I do not mean that the people in England are all cranky, but here in Chicago you have the feeling, everyone is friends with everyone and everyone appreciates his neighbor as himself.
I hope I get used quickly in Chicago and the eternally shining lights of the streets.
I hope I have the time to visit my brother in Princeton. After some consideration as my future life might look like I slept and dreamed of Chicago, the city on Lake Michigan.