Chapter 3

Harper's POV

It was Monday morning and the sun was shining directly in my room. While it was only a few minutes after 6 am, I heard so many cars on the roads. From time to time you could hear a police siren through the noise through.
After I had finished my work in the bathroom I put on a light blue blouse and a beige pencil skirt and grabbed my bag. It was just after seven and I decided to buy something to eat on my way to the office. Because of the brief five-minute walk and the beautiful weather, I decided to walk despite my highheels. The office was located in a beautiful high-rise building, the Two Prudential Plaza. It was cool in the building and beacause I had still time, I looked around. I stood in a large hall with a high ceiling. Right and left from me were four large reception areas that were separated by columns. The walls and the ceiling were made of black stone, which was so slippery that you got reflected in them. Infront of me were three courses, where four elevators transported the crowds upward. I went to one of the receptions and asked in which floor the Chicago Metropolitan office was.
I had to wait five minutes until an elevator arrived and this was the also filled with many people. If no AC was there, probably no one would go to work because the air was quickly stuffy by many people.
In the 43rd floor, two men and I got out. Completely disoriented, I ran them simply by and asked one of them where the Editors office was.
When I went through the many passages with several desks I came to the end of the big room and on the door infront of me was written in big letters: James Whittemore
He was the Editor of the Chicago Metropolitan and I talked with him a couple of times one the Phone. I knocked and was invited in.
In the middle of the room there was a large desk and shelves on the walls of dark wood. The wall behind the desk was completely made of glass and so the room was brightly lit. Behind the desk sat a tall man mid 40th. He had fair hair and fair skin. I shook his hand and he told me to sit down.
     "Good day, Mrs. Anderson, I guess. I am Mr. Whittemore we had already talked on the phone, right?", he asked.
     "Good morning Mr. Whittemore, yes, I am really glad that everything worked out." , I answered.
Since we had already discussed things like my salary and my number of hours a day on the phone, he wanted to introduce myself to my colleague.
He sent for him and in this time he told me something about the history of the newspaper.
There was a knock and Mr. Whittemore invited him in.

In the door was standing an at least 1.80 meters tall young man with dark curly hair and broad shoulders. He had a slightly tanned skin and brown eyes. He shook my hand and introduced himself as Aiden Williamson, my colleague for the next six weeks.
His voice was low, but also dreamy and soft. He sat down on the chair next to me and then Mr. Whittemore told us the plan for this week. This conversation lasted nearly two hours and it was shortly after twelve when Mr. Williamson and I have been dismissed from the office.
"Since we are working together now I'd like to invite you to lunch, so we can get to know us a little better, if you are okay with that."
Because I was in daze from his voice and courtesy, I just nodded and we walked to the elevators.