Chapter 15

The drive was short and awkward. Neither one of us made an attempt to talk but the silence was welcomed. I think Luca could see that I needed to prep myself before reaching there. I kept telling myself 'I could do this', that 'so what if I make a fool off myself' and 'it was no big deal' but it really was. The place was going to be crawling with the elite, who I had somehow managed to join. I looked the part thanks to the beautiful dress, I now only had to act it.

It was just another charade I concluded, and was thinking of getting into acting, since I was becoming quiet the actress living with Luca. I deeply wished that I was only acting when he kissed me so passionately or when he looked at me with that intense gaze, but even I could only lie so much. It was true, I had began to grow feelings for Luca and started to like him, but that didn't mean I was going to run through the hills declaring it. I was still wary and didn't want to get my heart broken by him. Which was quiet funny if you thought about it, I was already married to the man.

We finally arrive to the place, I knew because everywhere you looked there were paparazzi standing, cameras around their necks stood ready to take pictures of whoever walked past, all for that million dollar shot.

I was actually starting to wonder how we were going to make it inside. By the look and sound of things you would think a celebrity was going to be here, looking at Luca and thinking about it, I guessed it was somewhat true.

Suddenly, it all seemed so real and I wasn't sure if I would be able to do it. Flashing lights had that kind of effect on a person. Luca must have sensed my distress because he grabbed my hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze, it wasn't much and it was everything. I had gained a bit of confidence, due to his big strong hands wrapped around my small fragile ones; it was a bizarre fit but they seemed to fit perfectly.

I didn't know why I was analysing our hands, probably to distract myself from the inevitable. Maybe I wouldn't make a complete fool of myself after all.

"You ready?" He asks me giving me a smile as he turns the car off, I wondered how we were going to get any parking space until I saw a valet making his way over and remembered that the rich don't park their own cars, they've got people for that too.

"No, not really." I admit and bite my lips unconsciously, he follows my movement and looks like he's going to kiss me and I'm shocked that I want him to kiss me too, but he doesn't, he just gives me another squeeze. I try not to let the disappointment show on my face but somehow I think he knows. I had learnt that he was very observant over the past few days.

"Don't worry you'll be fine. Just smile and walk, I've got you." He says with a chuckle and I smile back at him. He makes it sound so easy and I realise for him this is another day, another event, just more annoying paparazzi. For me it seemed like my initiation into society, almost like my cotillion.

Luca gets out of his car with ease and passes the valet his keys. The paparazzi are going crazy calling his name, the lights have become almost blinding. Secrity guards do their best to keep them back as he makes his way over to my side of the door and opens it for me. Time for the show.

"Ready?" He asks me again and this time I feel more confident knowing he'll be there by my side.

"Yeah, I think so." I reply and take his hand and manage to successfully get out of the car without embarrassing myself. His hands automatically come around and hold my waist guiding me thankfully. I walk slowly trying to make sure I don't fall.