Seven

Maisie

As soon as the gun sounded I was in the water, my feet propelling me forward. My hands touched the rough surface of the rocks and I quickly hoisted myself up and began to run. I focused on the placement of my feet to make sure I didn't slip. I was surprised to see Katniss arrive at the cornucopia before me and already fixing an arrow in her bow. I set my gaze on the silver double bladed sword behind her, but I tripped before I could get to it. A hot pain spread across my lower back and I cried out. I turned around to look who had attacked me and saw Brutus standing over me, a knife dripping with my blood. I reached out, praying that I could reach the sword and as soon as I felt the cool metal in my hand I swung it up. One of the blades sliced along Brutus's cheek and he stumbled back, giving me an opportunity to stand up. I moved quickly, kicked him in the groin, and pushed him over into the water.

I looked over to notice Katniss had her arrow pointed at Finnick's face and rushed over as fast as I could, ignoring the pain in my back. All I heard from Finnick was "duck" which Katniss did and he sent his trident into a tribute's chest, the cannon going off.
"Don't trust one and two," he stated as he retrieved his weapon.
"Excuse you," I interrupted.
"She's the exception," Finnick corrected as he pointed at me and I rolled my eyes.
"I'll take this side, you hold them off," he instructed.
"I'll go find Peeta," I stated running after him around the cornucopia. Mags was standing on one of the rock platforms waving her arms about and pointing toward the water. I followed her finger and saw two forms fighting and splashing wildly.
"That's him that's Peeta," I told Finnick.
"Okay stay here with Mags." Finnick ran to retrieve Katniss.

Finnick handed me his trident when he returned before diving into the water and swimming toward the two. Katniss had her bow drawn toward the water, but it would be hard to get a clear shot. I couldn't tell who, but one tribute dragged the other down into the water and the cannon went off after neither of them surfaced for a while. A dead body floated up face down and I noticed Katniss panic. Peeta surfaced suddenly breathing ragged and we all relaxed a bit.
"Hurry you two," I shouted at Peeta and Finnick. I helped pull both of them up and Finnick hoisted Mags onto his back.
"We need to go. Go go go," I instructed, pushing everyone forward toward the jungle.

Peeta lead our group, Katniss behind him, Finnick behind her, and me trailing. We ran as fast as we could to create some distance between us and the rest of the tributes.
"Okay hold up hold up," Finnick called as we all came to a halt a couple minutes later. We all stooped down to catch our breath while examining our surroundings.
"God it's hot," Peeta commented. "We gotta find fresh water." Three canons sounded making us turn our eyes to the sky.
"Well I guess we're not holding hands anymore," Finnick stated sarcastically with a dry laugh.
"You think that's funny?" Katniss snapped.
"Every time that canon goes off it's music to my ears. I don't care about any of them."
"Good to hear," Katniss commented as she retrieved an arrow from her quiver and directed it at Finnick. My instincts kicked in and I jumped in between the two, my sword pointed at Katniss. I glared at her fiercely, a cold and distant look in my eyes; I wasn't going to let her hurt him especially not this early in the Games.
"Want to face the Career pack alone? What did Haymitch say?" Finnick stated.
"Haymitch isn't here," Katniss rebutted.
"Let's keep moving," Peeta interrupted. Katniss put back her arrow and walked after Peeta, yet I still held a defensive stance in front of Finnick.
"Hey it's okay now," Finnick reassured me, placing a gentle hand on my shoulder. I nodded and walked forward with him following me.
"What happened to you?" He questioned. My hand flew to the cut on my back, remembering what happened at the cornucopia.
"Brutus attacked me. He's quite literally a back stabber," I stated with a sarcastic grin.
"You should take care of it before it gets infected."
"I'll be fine. I'll take care of it when we stop and make camp," I argued.