Chapter 14

Calling Adams....

"Brittney, what?" His voice shook as he spitted out each syllable.

"You know Adams, you can talk to me without worrying about your identity or anything for that matter."

"..."

"I know you're not okay. But do you seriously not want to talk about it?"

"I—" He paused for seconds, inhaling sharply; as if trying to process his next words carefully. "I cut my hands with a razor this morning and it..."

Suddenly he could not utter another word. He broke down crying.

What?

That was what she was going to say, but she controlled the words before they could come out of her mouth. Yes, she had heard it right, there was no need to ask him to repeat it again.

"Hey, are you okay? Do you need to go to a hospital?"

He was still crying, bitterly. But in between the sobs, she caught his words. "No... I—I'm fine."

"Please don't disconnect the line, okay?"

"Hmm.." He agreed.

For one good minute, they said nothing. Only their breathes— her regular and his rampant, and his occasional whimpers could be heard.

Then at last he spoke.

"Sorry if I made you worried somehow."

"It's okay.." She said, choosing it was better not to speak much. He needed some time to come out of the initial trauma, she was determined to give him that.

"Brittney, I know you're wondering what's wrong with me. You wanna know about my past—"

"No, I don't. Honest to God, I don't."

"Seriously?"

"I don't lie upon God. It's a big deal."

"More like, God is a big deal."

She laughed at that, a little louder than regular; to cheer him up. And it did not fail. Smile is contagious. She could hear him giggle over the phone soon.

"Your giggle sounds adorable, you know."

"Wow I've never heard anyone complimenting me on my giggles."

"They compliment you on other things, that is?"

"I don't giggle that often maybe."

"They are not interested just in your giggles maybe," she said, evidently flirting with him. But if flirting could cheer up his mood at the current situation, she was okay with that.

"Yeah, there are plenty other things to look at other than my stupid giggles you know." He was laughing by now too. "Want some examples?" He added.

And she could not let the opportunity go. "Of course, boy. I know almost nothing about you!"

"Same goes for you too." He complained.

"Okay, you first. Tell me about you."

"I—" He groaned in pain suddenly. "No don't worry. I'm fine."

She was glad that he was willing to talk and not change the topic.

"Okay, I am perfectly 6 feet. Brown hair, green eyes. Completely boring. And since you want to know about my body, no six packs."

"No six packs? Awh!" She whined, fake hurt.

"I assure you, no packs at all, ma'am." He acted as if he was selling milk to customers and assuring them it was fresh.

"Too bad you know!"

He smiled innocently. She was liking his behavior already, though it kept coming back to her mind that he was not okay.

"What about you? You're eight, I already know that."

"Yes," she laughed nonchalantly. "Apart from that, I just passed high school."

"Cool!"

She was going to laugh but suddenly her eyes fell upon the number of customers in the restaurant, the number was not ignorable and far more customers were waiting in the reception too.

"Oops, I gotta go!"

"Yes. Okay. Umm..no problem."

Did he sound offended?

"Look, it's really urgent. I wouldn't have gone otherwise."

"No, I understand."

"I need you to promise me one thing, though. You won't do anything wrong again. Please." She pleaded.

He hung up the call. Micheals never kept promises, she concluded.

But her phone beeped shortly.

I promise.

As she read this, another message came.

Thank you for not questioning.
And being there.
You don't know, but it means everything.

******

It'd be awesome if you guys vote, comment and share now that I'd be entering the Wattys.

Also, I want to hear from you guys your opinions about the story or where your think it's going or if it's getting boring or anything..