Marquette

“Hey Dino,” I smiled into my cell phone with my eyes still closed.

“Hey gorgeous,” I was glad that he agreed to be my alarm clock in the morning or else I would never get up in time for school.

“Thanks for the ringing in my ear,” I said sarcastically. I clamped my hand onto my eyes to keep out the bright sunlight.

“No problem, I’ll pick you up in an hour. You had better come out to my car with your shoes on your feet though,” He chuckled and I wondered for the hundredth time how he could have so much energy in the morning. I mean the boy slept less than I did on a daily basis.

“I promise that my shoes will be fastened securely onto my feet.” I laughed loudly, said goodbye and then hung up.

Dino and I had been best friends since I was in sixth grade. He was in eighth then and he saw how I always sat by myself in the cafeteria right next to the door. He was an office aid and one morning the ladies in the office didn’t have anything for him to do so he walked into the lunch room and sat down next to me. Granted he could have gotten into a lot of trouble if he were caught, but he wasn’t ever.

Since that day we did everything together. I’d help him with his nutrition and wellness class, he’d help me get by in gym. He went shopping with me and I helped him look for a girlfriend.

I jumped off the bed and changed my clothes. The current girl has been around for three months and every time he brings her on a shopping trip or to my house to watch a creepy movie with us I feel a small tug in my heart.